Too Much Crystal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyJumpUp

Reaction score
So I got all flustered when the lhbs was out of marris otter (subbed 2 row and vienna) and accidently ordered 1/2lb each of 20 and 40L instead of 1/4lb each. Is it going to be too sweet? It was supposed to be an APA...

7lbs 2 Row American
1lb Vienna
1/2lb 20L
1/2lb 40L

0.5oz Simcoe 55min
0.5oz Centennial 30min
0.5oz Simcoe 5min
0.5oz Centennial 5min

Possibly depends on taste, but you can use more aroma hops and increase the ibus to decrease perception of sweetness.

Btw, I'm about to cry seeing Simcoe at 55 mins, you're wasting that pure blissful flavor and aroma using it for bittering man. Get some magnums for high alpha bittering.

Possibly depends on taste, but you can use more aroma hops and increase the ibus to decrease perception of sweetness.

Btw, I'm about to cry seeing Simcoe at 55 mins, you're wasting that pure blissful flavor and aroma using it for bittering man. Get some magnums for high alpha bittering.

How about this hop bill? I've been thinking about trying a mostly late hop addition beer anyway. I only have 2oz of Centeninal and 2oz of Simcoe on hand. I'll probably mash around 150, to try and counter the sweetness of the grain bill some as well.

1oz Centennial 60min
0.5oz Centennial 20min
0.5oz Simcoe 5min
0.5oz Centennial 5min
0.5oz Simcoe 2min
1oz Simcoe Dry Hop

Back