Too Much Blow Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeLevay

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just brewed my second batch of beer, ever (partial mashes - IPA & Wit) and both times the kraeusen has knocked off a blowoff hose over the first night. The blow off hose is attached through a rubber stopper and the other end placed in a bucket with a small amount of water and SanStar. The first IPA was not contaminated, don't know about the Wit yet. The 5-gallon carboy is filled to just past the point where it STARTS to taper in.

How can I solve this problem? Less wort? Bigger blowoff hose?

Thanks for all the help.

My suggestion would be to get a 6 gallon carboy or get a bigger blow-off tube like I use. It will fit into 3,5,6 gallon carboys. Then I just switch to my airlock after a couple days when most of the fermentation is over:

IMG_1644.JPG

What size carboy are you using? I think you can get blowoff tubes that fit inside of the the entire mouth of the carboy. With your widened tubing, you'll get less back pressure. I use inch and half diameter tubing which fits inside the carboy. Haven't had any problems.

Cheers

You need a 6-gallon carboy or scaled down recipes. A good, active krausen is desirable but if it's hitting the hose with enough force to push it out of the carboy then there isn't enough room in there.

If you are using the hose/stopper combo I assume you are using a better bottle, which is what I use. I regularly have fermentations active enough to put an inch of yeast into the blowoff container but have never had the hose come close to being pushed out of the carboy.

I'm about to go from 3.5 gallon stove top batches to 5.5 gallon batches. I ferment in a 5 gallon carboy for the 3.5 gallon batch and I've only had one slight blow off. It's convinced me to go with the large fermentation buckets when I switch over though for various reasons.

Back