Too many kegs, not enough fridges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 6 kegs but can only keep 4 of them in my keezer. So far that's worked ok but now I have one that is down about half way and I would like to pull it but I can't keep in refridgerated.

Can I just take it and put it in my basement (ambient about 60 +/- a couple).

Will this cause any issues?

its a big bottle.
I store kegs in my basement all the time prob a bit warmer than 60 maybe closer to 70 no big deal.
I would say as long as you don't have extreme temp fluxes you don't have to worry.

Personally, I'd bottle the rest (22oz bottles for space) and free up the keg. If you have the bottles and want to spend the time and effort.

I've stored kegs as well and they've been fine- just know that beer changes as it ages so it might not be as good or it might be better with age depending on a number of factors.

If the beer is bottled you can still drink it occasionally. Just saying.

I agree with BrewWNC. When I need to free up space/keg, I just bottle out whatever is left in there.

That said, there's nothing wrong with just taking the keg out of the fridge/freezer for a few weeks. It won't go bad, but its *possible* you might get some heat impact. Most beers are best when kept cold after fermentation. The hop aroma in IPAs especially will diminish over time in warmer environments. It's why (or so I've heard) Vinnie C at Russian River Brewing Company refuses to sign a distributor who won't guarantee the refrigeration of the beer throughout 100% of the shipping/final sale process.

A couple of weeks down at 60F in the basement should be fine. I use a single upright refrigerator for both fermentation and serving. When I'm fermenting a batch, the kegs get in the 60s for a week or two, and I continue to serve myself with them. It's an interesting take on how serving temperature changes the flavor and aroma perception I get. Plus, beer served at 60F has ZERO chill haze :)

Back