Too Long In Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
I brewed a raspbery wheat on the 25th of November. Aside from being busy and sick I have not had a chance to rack it into my cornies. Is this too long of a time period for a beer to be in a fermenter?

I am pretty sure the yeast is done working and since my garage has been a constant 45-55* I am pretty certain the yeast is dormant.

Am I ok?

the general rule of thumb is to keep a beer/wide/mead/cider on the yeast for no longer than a month. so in theory you should be good till Christmas. but i have seen posts on here where people have said they have left their brew on the yeast ALOT longer with no ill effects. for beer i typically wait 2 weeks before getting it off the trub.

4 weeks in primary is standard for me. Once I started leaving my beer in primary for a couple extra weeks, there was a very noticeable improvement.

oh cool then in reality I could leave it in there another week and it wouldnt matter....probably help?

Thanks

You're fine. I'm part of the school of lazy apartment brewers with limited space/resources. I regularly leave my brews in primary for 4 weeks and sometimes even then secondary just because I don't have time to bottle. That brew would just be entering my racking or brewing radar depending on whether I have excess time or carboys!

I consider myself fairly new to brewing and the longer the ferment has helped.

Back