Too hot for bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jump_xiii

Reaction score
Bottled a batch Sunday and they are patiently waiting for me. SWMBO offered to clear some space for this batch in the airing cupboard (don't know if you call it the same in the states- the place where my hot water tank is for the house and we keep our sheets and towels etc).

Anyway I put a thermometer in there too and it's reading a fairly constant 25c or 77f.

Is that a bit too warm? They've been there 3 days so if there is damage to be done I'm sure it's already done, just wondering if the next batch should go elsewhere...

What did you bottle? 77*F might be okay for a wheat (maybe pushing it a little) but for a lager or dark ale, that might ruin the beer. I wouldn’t rush it with bottles, that’s what kegging is for; besides, what you made probably needs to rest for a while during it’s conditioning. More info might help…:mug:

Thanks discooby.

It's a kit & kilo English bitter...

Like I say it's been in there a few days now, the bottle I looked at this morning was pretty clear with the sediment already mostly settled and a slight shake indicated bubbles.

My vague plan was to leave it in the warm to carb, maybe a week, then condition it another 2-3 in the closet where it's (guessing) 15-18c. Mental note- put thermometer in closet when I get home!

Hmm… English Bitter...bottled, this type is usually stored in a cool 60-70*F (15.5-21*C) for 2 to 4 weeks.

I think your fine mate, perfect for warming the yeasties and conditioning the bitter… in darkness of course. I can’t see any worries as long as you keep them out of the sunlight (UV).

Please, report back on how it turns out… cheers :mug:

I live in FL, and I find that interior closets are about 5-6 degrees cooler than the rest of the house, so that's your best bet.

Even if you end up with ester or phenol alcohol off flavors from the warm fermentation, and extra 3-4 weeks of conditioning will typically mellow those out, so just be patient with this batch.

I think you're fine. You want the bottles warm while they carbonate. 3 weeks at 70°F is the default guideline. At 77°F, they'll carbonate faster. There will be little ester/phenol prodiction at this point - there shouldn't be any yeast growth and only minimal additional fermentation.

Thanks to all

I'll go with the plan above then, a week or so in the snuggly warmth of the airing cupboard, then a couple of weeks in the closet. Chill. Crack. Enjoy.

:mug:

Edit: And yes- they are in the dark

Back