Too high mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
So its been 10 days since my double brew day, an APA and a brown ale.
On both the APA and brown, I hit my OG's exactly, 1.055 for APA, and 1.048 for the brown.
At 7 days in the primary, I took a gravity reading on both of them. APA was 1.020 and brown was 1.019. A little high for 7 days I though, but I gave it some time. Now on day 10, the gravities are exactly the same, no movement in either.

What I realized a few days after my brewday, was the thermometer I used for that day is off by about 4-5 degrees. So on the pale where I was supposed to be mashing at 154, it was probably about 158, and the brown I was mashing at 155, so it might be 159/160.

What can I expect from these beers? I am still going to give them another week in the primary to clean up, but I dont expect the gravities to change since it was exactly the same after 3 days. Will they be sweet and gross?

160F is pushing the upper limits of conversion, but it will be fine. 170F is another story - get a better thermometer. Hitting mash temps is challenging enough with good equipment, let alone faulty gear.

Expect a lot of mouth feel. Your APA may have a bit more body than you are used to, but it will be more than drinkable. I bet the brown will be great. FWIW, Lagunitas mashes many of their beers at 160F (including the IPA), and they seem to be doing okay.

Joe

I've been there.
The brown will probably be pretty good, I tend to like my darker beers a little sweeter, but the APA...
I ended up dumping a blonde that I mashed too high, it just wouldn't stop tasting horrible, even after 2 months.
You know everybody's gonna tell you to just let them age :) Do so as long as you can stand it...

You can always boil a half gallon of water with an ounce of cascade or something like that for an hour and add it to the APA to brighten it up and balance the excess dextrines.

Yeah, I learned my lesson about cheap thermometers. Ordered the granddaddy of all thermometers, the thermapen, this morning. So hopefully my IPA next week goes smoother...

I might try what Bobby suggested for the APA. I have an ounce of cascade in the freezer...
Would I just boil it up, and add it to the primary that it is in now?

Back