Too Dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acidjazz54

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Generally, extract beers can darken while boiling. So, even though the taste is "light", the color is darker than expected.

Once it's finished, though, there isn't much (if anything) you can do about the color.

YooperBrew said:
Generally, extract beers can darken while boiling. So, even though the taste is "light", the color is darker than expected.

Once it's finished, though, there isn't much (if anything) you can do about the color.

That's an AG batch though, Yoop.

mrkristofo said:
That's an AG batch though, Yoop.

Oh, duh! I'm sorry!

That recipe (I actually looked at it this time) shouldn't be dark at all. What color did you end up with?

Sometimes it looks darker in the carboy than it really is. Could you pull a sample up and put it in a glass and take a good look and see what color you really have?

Yoop you were right. I pulled a sample and I'd say it's about 4 SRM so it's a tiny bit dark but for being a Bud Light clone I'm not that worried about it. Thanks for the help.

Just pee in it and stir it up real good. That should get it the right color and get it tasing more like Bud.

mullimat said:
Just pee in it and stir it up real good. That should get it the right color and get it tasing more like Bud.
No, if it's bud, you'd better go to a farm and get some good old american horse piss instead ;)

No wait. It's bud LIGHT. In that case dump half of it out and then pee in it enough to fill it back up and then it should be good to go! Sorry about all the harrassment. Lol I'm drunk. DFH 120 min IPA owns me.

Old Joke Warning:

Why is light beer like making love in a canoe?

Because it is ******* near water.

Warning lifted - you may now go about your business.

The harassment is ok and probably justified. I wouldn't have brewed it unless I was asked.

Plus I made sure that it was NOT my first AG batch. I couldn't live with that shame :)

Nobody mentioned that beer looks darker in the fermenter. Looks like you found out it was lighter once poured.

However, +1 on the horse piss idea.

One of these days I'm going to try and make one of these BMC clones myself, just for the challenge. They're not easy to get right so will be a good test of brewing skill. Come on, you guys, don't tell me you've never thought of it.

I'm used to having my beers be too dark, but I use partial mash and sometimes just extract. It still does look a good bit darker in the bucket/carboy than in the glass, though.

Just out of curiosity, how much did this batch cost relative to Bud light. I hope it turns out at least a bit more flavorful, I'm interested in an update when its ready.

Costs were around $28 for 5 gallons.

I will let you know as soon as I keg it how it tastes. I hope it ends up a little more flavorful too. I'm thinking that I'm not going to carbonate it as much as a typical Bud Light either. I don't like that fizziness.

I think urine is to dark for a bud light clone. You have to make sure you have had to much water and have to have one of tose clear as water pisses.

Seriously, I think adding water would do it. Isn't bud light 4 or 4.5% a/v anyway?

Back