Too Cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaqhugh

Reaction score
So I bottled some beers and used carb tabs then I stored it in my garge (high 30's) for the prescribed week and my beers are still flat.. is that because it is too cold? Will moving them into my house(high 60's) fix that? or can I keep it in the colder conditions and just have to wait longer?

mucho gracias

The beer will condition quicker and become carbonated faster at warmer temps.

The carbonation happens from the yeast in suspension in your beer eating up the priming tabs and producing co2. I'm assuming you made an ale, and ale yeast don't like cold weather (i.e. your garage) and go dormant. Try bringing them in your house and shaking the bottles a bit to bring them back into suspension.

The general rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70 degrees should give you good carbination

30F is too cold to carb, period.

Get em in the house and close to 70F, then wait 3 weeks to carbonate.

after 3 weeks should he chill them or keep them at room temp for longer conditioning times? or doesn't it matter once they're carbed?

after 3 weeks should he chill them or keep them at room temp for longer conditioning times? or doesn't it matter once they're carbed?

Depends on the beer style. Beers best drunk young tend to last longer when kept cold; beers that benefit from aging should be kept at cellar temperatures. You definitely want to store beers away from direct sunlight and cooler than 75 degrees F at the most, or you'll start getting strange flavors after a few months.

Back