Too cold to ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanyP321

Reaction score
My fermentation was off to a nice start and after 24 hours all activity stopped. I thought it might be something to do with another problem I was having and then realised that my temp had dropped over night A LOT! I have moved it to a warmer place.

Is it likley to become unstuck or will it need some help?

Thanks guys,
the ever worried Sean

If it stopped because it was too cold, it should get going again on its own. It might have just stopped because it was just about finished, though. Either way, if it's an ale, keep it in the mid 60s if you can and it'll be fine.

My fermentation was off to a nice start and after 24 hours all activity stopped. I thought it might be something to do with another problem I was having and then realised that my temp had dropped over night A LOT! I have moved it to a warmer place.

Is it likley to become unstuck or will it need some help?

Thanks guys,
the ever worried Sean

This same thing happened to me once, I went from an extremely violent ferment that popped my bucket lid off twice, to nothing overnight because the temp dropped so rapidly.....I was worried too, but it turned out fine.

I also moved the bucket to a new location, and somehow, the act of moving the bucket caused the airlock to start bubbling again, and it went at a slow but steady clip for another week afterwards.....go figure. it'll be fine, though.

The yeast got tired. Heh.

Try Nottingham Dry Yeast. that stuff is pretty forgiving. Right now my waterbath is at 52F and it is still chugging away. A tad slow since the low range is 57F.

Usually the colder the better for yeast, but a stuck fermentation can happen. You did well though.

my mead did the same thing, was going good and then just stopped, I do keep my house cold, 19c (66.2f) but once i put it in to a styrofoam and warmed it a bit, to 24c (75.2f) it started going like crazy.

All activity....are you talking about the airlock only or do you have a carboy and you can see what's going on?

What temp did it get it get down to? Those thermometer strips have a range on them that are pretty good for letting you know your extremes.

actually - im even more worried now. temp dropped to about 55f. It was at about 65f but Yeast suggested it should be about 77f. Isn't that very warm? Its kicked off a bit since I moved it into a warmer place (about 73f).

I have a clear plastic lid. There was NO activity at 55f

actually - im even more worried now. temp dropped to about 55f. It was at about 65f but Yeast suggested it should be about 77f. Isn't that very warm? Its kicked off a bit since I moved it into a warmer place (about 73f).

I have a clear plastic lid. There was NO activity at 55f

Answered this in the other thread. 77F is WAY too warm. 62-68F is great. The beer is not active because it's about done. Don't worry about it- it'll be fine!

Latest posts

Back