too carbonate or not too carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecad

Reaction score
the russian imperial i've been playing with for many monthes is finally done. it tastes good as is and i'm thinking about bottling with out carbonating it. good idea or will this lead to yet another problem with this brew

I don't quite understand. You want flat beer? Or is it naturally carbonated a bit and you are happy w/ the level?

If it's flat and anyone but you will drink it, I'd carbonate. If it's carbing already (stored in a corny keg, for instance), I'd expect that carbonation to off-gas during transfer, so it's sort of a toss up.

If you don't want it too 'fizzy', I would carbonate at the low range of the spectrum for the style. Most RIS aren't carbed really heavily anyway. But, I wouldn't want a flat one.

I have a RIS going right now too. It will get carb'd for sure. I just like the taste better. That said, it won't cause any problems. But you may wish you had carbed it later, so think about it now.

Low end of style is 1.3, but many beers come out of the fermenter that way. Maybe shoot for 1.7 volumes CO2, which would be some carbonation?

going for carb at lower level then usual thanks for the help

You mentioned it's "ready", how long exactly have you waited?

I only ask b/c I'm now just entering the long waiting game. My buddy made a similar RIS (above 1.10 OG), and his sat in a carboy for 250 days. About 1 year after brewing it was the best beer I've ever tasted. I might not go that long, but I want it to sit in secondary at least through the summer. If I can stand holding it there until Halloween all the better. Will be adding 1.5 oz of med oak cubes soaked in scotch when racking to secondary in a few weeks.

OG was 1.102 this past Friday. After checking last night I'm already down to 1.029 with the yeast still slowly cranking away :mug: Didn't taste that bad for only 6 days in.

orginally brewed in early september, this year i'm gonna start my winter beers earlier so i can actually drink them in the winter

Back