Tons of floaties from yeast - what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbster

Reaction score
I have a couple bottles of Westvleteren 12 that I’ve been saving for a special occasion, and I’ve noticed that the yeast cake is very loose, to the point that it stirs up a ton of floaties when I open the bottle, just from the carbonation

If this were a normal beer or home brew, I’d probably just toss it since the appearance is...less than desirable.

Since I plan on sharing this with others, is there anything I could do about this? Chilling doesn’t seem to have any effect.

Worst case scenario, I just man up and drink them by myself.

How does it taste? You’re drinking one of the finest beers on the planet. Some yeast floaties in a traditional Trappist beer would be hardly concerning to me. Drink, share, enjoy. If not, I’ll send you my address and unburdened you!

How does it taste? You’re drinking one of the finest beers on the planet. Some yeast floaties in a traditional Trappist beer would be hardly concerning to me. Drink, share, enjoy. If not, I’ll send you my address and unburdened you!

It tasted totally fine the last time I opened one (maybe 2 years ago), which also had the floaty issue, so I don’t think it’s an infection. Just kind of a weird thing to happen. I’ve got no problem with yeast in my beers, it’s just odd to see what looks like a dirty aquarium when looking at a glass of a world class beer. I think I’ll just pour and swirl, as rhys333 mentioned, and call it good!

Back