Tommy Cream Ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So after lurking and researching yeasts for a good cream ale, I decided to tilt the idea on it's head and try WLP005 instead of US-05 or 1056. I've had many cream ales and wanted to try something a bit different. I used the Northern Brewer Cream Ale kit for reference. Has anyone else tried an English Ale yeast in their American style ales and liked the outcome?

I did! Let's just say that 5 gallons of TCA quickly disappeared. My brother in law who loves cream ales said it was the best he has ever had. It was a full volume steep and boil. Steeped at 158°F(got distracted by my toddler), wanted to be at 148-150°F ideally. OG 1.047.I let it ferment around 68°F for two weeks. FG was 1.012. It came out crystal clear, although a little darker than I wanted it, the flavor was fantastic! It was bright, a estery, a bit fruity and oh so crushable. This is a standard staple in the house.

Attachments

• IMG_20200722_144933775.jpg
    IMG_20200722_144933775.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back