Tomarrow's SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnadamn

Reaction score
Hello All, Tomarrow will be my second all grain batch and I was planning on doing a Vienna / Norther Brewer Smash but Northern brewer was not in stock at the LHBS so they recomomended Nugget (I wanted Perle as my second choice but they didnt have that either). I know that nugget is more of a bittering hop so I was wondering what you guys think about this recipe. I think the aroma will be missing as it is a bittering hop but the IBU's are about what I was looking for so we will see I guess.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Vienna / Nugget
Brewer: Adam (mnadamn)
Asst Brewer: Keith & Darren
Style: Altbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
19 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
1.50 oz Nugget [12.50 %] (90 min) Hops 37.9 IBU
1.50 oz Nugget [12.50 %] (10 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 19.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 5.89 gal of water at 161.5 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 3.80 gal of water at 200.0 F 168.0 F

I think the aroma will be missing as it is a bittering hop but the IBU's are about what I was looking for so we will see I guess.

50 IBUs is a lot for a 1.048 beer, especially with only base malt to back it up. You can use some of your 90min addition for aroma and still be plenty bitter.

well, the Vienna / NB Smash comes in at 50 so that is what my target was. I do like a more hoppy beer but as it will be on tap at my house I think I might make it:

1 oz at 90
1 oz at 25
1 oz at 03

This will drop the IBU's to 44.6

altbier, huh?

I think you're on target ibu wise - jamil says otherwise, but my favorite is Zum Uerige which is around 55 ibus. However with the nugget and Nottingham it doesn't sound like an altbier...

altbier, huh?

I think you're on target ibu wise - jamil says otherwise, but my favorite is Zum Uerige which is around 55 ibus. However with the nugget and Nottingham it doesn't sound like an altbier...

Honestly, I didnt really know where I should put it so I left it as the default.

As an update, I have a gravity of 1.002 (original of 1.048) and as of tomarrow I will be throwing the 9 gallons I made into kegs and will start crash cooling for serving this weekend. I brewed sunday and as of monday when I went to bed there was a bubble every couple min with a 3 piece. The batch was split evenly between 2 6.5gal carboys and by noon tuesday I needed a blow off on them. By midnight everything had settled, this stuff fermented amazingly fast and the temp sticker has maxed at 64F throughout the entire thing! The best part of making this beer other then the price (10 gal for $27) was the taste of the hydro sample. I cant wait to clear this up and have a carb'd sample!

Back