Today is my 1st ag.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
Cant w8. baby goes to daycare in about an hour. On the way home i pick up my spring water and propane then its brew time. I think im ready, however i do have one question. What is the best vorlauf technique? Is it better to open the valve slow for the first run to set the grain bed? or is it better to open the valve fast to set the grain bed?

you wanna open it slowly so the grain bed doesn't get channels, where the wort is just running through them and not filtering well. its not hard, just open a little wait a second open a little more, wait a sec. shouldnt take long at all.

I open the valve nice and slow to pull out a quart or so, shut off the valve and return the wort to the tun and do this a couple more times untill it's free of debris. THen collect first runnings and batch sparge from there.

Good luck on the first AG!

Once you crack open the valve to drain, keep it open. Shutting it then opening again can sometime cause stuck sparges.

Strike water is heating as we speak. making a pils of sorts here is the recipe

11# continental pils
.5# caramunich

Strike water is heating as we speak. making a pils of sorts here is the recipe

11# continental pils
.5# caramunich

.5 oz centeniel hops 60 min
1.5 oz centeniel 10 min

mash at 149 for 90 min

Lol I miss my lil brew helper. She is always saying i can help daddy. aweful silent brewing w/o her. Yes the stay at home dad misses his 2.5 yr old.

Back