Toasted Malt Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jebu1788

Reaction score
I brewed an imperial IPA this evening, and in the 3 gallon recipe I used 0.25lbs of toasted malt (2-row in the oven for 15 min at 350F).

Anyway, I just read on How to Brew (http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter20-4.html) that Palmer recommends storing the malt for 2 weeks before use. I toasted the malt and immediately crushed it, and then I mashed 15 minutes later. I'm not too concerned, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience and knows what I may expect?

Thanks.

Huh. I've toasted malt before, and I never knew you're supposed to let it sit for 2 weeks. I've tried it in brown ale and oatmeal stout. I can't say I noticed any harsh flavors.

Huh. I've toasted malt before, and I never knew you're supposed to let it sit for 2 weeks. I've tried it in brown ale and oatmeal stout. I can't say I noticed any harsh flavors.

Well... "supposed to" is just one recommendation from 1999. At any rate, good to hear positive experience without waiting on the toasted malt front.

I think its just recommended so that any grain that get toasted too much, or burned even, will have time too air out and mellow. Have you ever noticed that varying levels of crystal malt have both black and brown grains? If your careful to not burn them I'm sure its fine, its just a way of avoiding roasty or smoky flavors that aren't wanted.

I think its just recommended so that any grain that get toasted too much, or burned even, will have time too air out and mellow. Have you ever noticed that varying levels of crystal malt have both black and brown grains? If your careful to not burn them I'm sure its fine, its just a way of avoiding roasty or smoky flavors that aren't wanted.

Cool, thanks.

Back