Toasted Flaked Wheat vs. Untoasted Flaked Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElRocko

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My regular supplier for ingredients only sells Toasted Flaked Wheat. They have been uncharacteristically rude and unhelpful when I tried to get some additional info about how this may (or may not!) differ from normal (untoasted) flaked wheat. So, I'm hoping you lovely people may be able to provide some insight into how a toasted flaked wheat product is different. I intend to brew a standard Belgian Wit which calls for 50% flaked wheat. I have a feeling that a toasted flake may change the colour or profile of this beer and wonder if I should just get a regular flake somewhere else.

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else. I did a bunch of searching but couldn't find an answer.

Cheers.

I would guess they would impart a more bready/nutty flavor. I usually toast my flaked rye and flaked oats before using them, I think flaked oats particularly are bland without the toasting. Imagine a piece of perfectly toasted bread, youll get some carmelization from the toasting.

But, I would say if theyre being rude and wont tell you how the product is processed, I would flat out not purchase from them (ever again).

Thanks for replying.

The supplier ended giving me a somewhat reasonable response after 3 attempts at asking my question. They echo the bread/nutty flavours and an increase in SRM.

I would consider going somewhere else but I find that these guys are the best up here in Canada. I could order from the U.S. but really don't want to pay the customs fees!

Back