Toasted Flaked Barley anyone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fineexampl

Reaction score
Has anyone used flaked barley that they roasted ahead of time in a recipe? I toasted .25lb of it and i'm wondering what the flavor profile, etc. will be with the finished beer? The smell coming from the pan as i toasted the flakes was amazing and even my wife jumped in and was enjoying the smell (no, she didn't jump in the pan). Now, i didn't roast the stuff, just warmed it up in a dry frying pan until it smelled real nice.

Is this a common ingredient for anyone? I found a slew of references to this method for flaked oats, but couldn't find anything about using barley. I'm sure i'm not the first to try this, but wondered what i've gotten into here. What recipe did you use it in, if any? What would you use it in?

Thoughts?

ps - I brewed an English bitter with it.

Sounds tasty to me, but I haven't tried it. We did toast .5 lbs of rye flakes to add to 10 gallons of a dark lager, but it only seemed to add a toasty background complexity. I'd guess you'd end up in a similar place. Hope it turns out well.

Back