Toasted coconut in the primary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gllcc

Reaction score
Have a batch of porter in the primary fermenter right now and it is almost a week. Have to go on an extended (1 month) work trip a week from now and the plan for this brew is a coconut porter.
Should I add coconut now to the primary fermenter so it grabs that flavor for the next week and then go to secondary? That way the beer can just condition for a month in the secondary with the coconut flavor already in there.
Or just put it in the secondary before I leave and then add coconut 5 weeks from now ( for probably about 7 days) to the conditioned beer?

Not sure which would be better for having the coconut flavor come through without being obnoxious.

I like to add some in the boil and later after initial fermentation (3-5) days. That’s just how I did it the first time and stuck with it.
I think you’ll be fine to add it now and let it sit for a month.

Personally, I'd skip the secondary. Add the coconut to the primary before you leave on your trip and let it sit in there the whole time. I don't think there is a downside to leaving it on the coconut. When i did an imperial stout with coconut, I had it in the primary for over a month before adding coconut, added the coconut, waited 10 days, tasted, added more, waited another 10 days, tasted and kegged.

Back