to taste or not to taste???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleas

Reaction score
so i started my first homebrew on 3\16\07 (american light ale) and sicne it was my first of course i rushed it and went into the seconday ASAP and bottled on the 3\24\07(now i know alot more about brewing and know to let it sit a bit longer) and now i want to try it to see how it tastes i know that i should\will let it sit for another 2 or more weeks but i allso think it would be a good idea to know what a "green beer" tastes like is this a good idea to know what it tastes like for future reference?
it has been 6 days since bottling*

thanks fleas :drunk: :drunk:

p.s this site rocks it has helped me learn ALOT about brewing!! thanks

Just slit the tape with a knife and unwrap carefully as not the wrinkle the paper. Oh wait, are we talking Christmas presents? TASTE IT. Just grab one really fast so the other bottles don't notice.

Chill it and take a taste. Remember to taste for "taste" and not the finished cabonated product.

I always sneak a drink...whether it's in bottles or in the keg.

fifelee said:
Just slit the tape with a knife and unwrap carefully as not the wrinkle the paper. Oh wait, are we talking Christmas presents? TASTE IT. Just grab one really fast so the other bottles don't notice.

hahahahhahaha i have never been one for being carfull with the unraping of presents

cheers fleas :drunk: :drunk:

Who here waited six weeks after bottling to taste? My first two batches were almost gone after 6 weeks in the bottle, I couldn't think of more of a reason to hurry than to taste your first batch ever.

But it will be much better if you wait like Blender said

You should always taste your beer as it ages so you can learn how the beer matures. I have one a week until it's ready.

ilikestuff said:
Who here waited six weeks after bottling to taste? My first two batches were almost gone after 6 weeks in the bottle, I couldn't think of more of a reason to hurry than to taste your first batch ever.

But it will be much better if you wait like Blender said
It actually was meant as a joke. I thought the smiley would kind of relay the thought behind the first batch statement.

ayrton said:
You should always taste your beer as it ages so you can learn how the beer matures. I have one a week until it's ready.

Agreed. I was proud of myself when I let my first batch go 7 days before I tried one, it was better by 14 days, and I remember a big difference by 21. Now I usually try to let them go for 2 weeks, but that rarely happens. It usually ends up being 7-10 days and then at 3 weeks.

I taste the wort, when I transfer to the secondary, when I keg and when it's green. Taste it! It's fun and you'll probably learn something too.

mmmmm im in middle of my first home brewed beer!!! its good i can really taste that its not done but its has hope! it has a watery body is that somthing that will go away with age???? other then that its better then i thought it was going to be i cant wait to start my second batch i want to use some grain this time (not just extract and hops) :tank: :)

cheers and beers fleas :drunk: :drunk:

Blender said:
It actually was meant as a joke. I thought the smiley would kind of relay the thought behind the first batch statement.

My mistake, perhaps a winky would have been clearer to me ;) . Although it is good advice to wait a while.

I bottled my first batch last Saturday and have been looking forward all week to this Saturday to crack one open to taste it. I am going to follow the advice of those who advocate tasting one per week and taking notes as to the beer's development. However, I made so many mistakes with this first batch that I am a little bit nervous.
My second batch (IPA) is in the Primary, so I have a while yet before tasting it. :(

You can make all the mistakes in the world and still end up with a damn good brew.

And you could always sample your IPA when transfering, I drink my hydrometer sample to get a feel for what the final product will be like... and I like green IPA's, good hop flavor.

Yeah, taste early and often! If for no other reason than because it will help you learn the taste changes which occur as a beer matures. Then, when you taste other beers in the future you will better know when they need longer to condition or when they're ready to drink. The more tasting you do the more experienced you will become in understanding your beer.

My name is Lorena.....and I'm a taster. I think we need a 12 step program for people like me.

I taste going into primary, into secondary, when bottling, a week after, 10 days after bottling,,,,,,,,

I LOVE seeing a beer born and then go through adolescence and then maturity.

I'm Aaron and I'm a taster....

I always taste. I can usually wait a week for the first one. I didn't even know what "aged" beer tasted like till I'd been brewing almost a year!!! Before that all my beer was "tasted" away after 3 or 4 weeks.

I take Hydro reading just so I can taste!! NEVER throw those out. Drink 'em

Latest posts

Back