To stir or not to stir?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
So i just got an ice cream mixer on the real cheap with intentions of using it to make a mash stirrer, but as i looked around i wasn't sure if stirring the mash is actually a good idea... anybody have any insights into it?

Stirring during the mash is good to maintain uniform temperatures, but not really necessary.
Some people like to use them during fly sparging, but just the top inch of the bed. This reduces channeling.

Hmm this seems like it may be used better if i end up making an electric HLT then...

I'm definitely building a mash stirrer when I set up the brew rig again. I use steam for step mashing, and it produces wicked hot spots. While I agree that constant stirring is likely counterproductive, stirring during the initial dough-in, as well as during any temperature adjustment is crucial for me.

Why wouldn't you want to stir during mashing? The only thing I can think of why not to is you will release heat from the mash, but if your tun is insulated and covered, it shouldn't be a problem. I direct fire my mash tun and I am thinking of adding a stirer. I scrotched my mash last time.

Back