To skim or not to skim (krausen foam-BIG)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopheader

Reaction score
Just wondering what folks say about whether to skim the 'junk' off the top of my large (!)-krausen brew right now---bucket is just over half full and foam is already coming through the top of the lid and forming nice sludge on the plastic. FYI less than 24 hours after pitching.

Take some off the top (not reusing this yeast, 'quite a bit' above 6.5% [Wyeast's "do not harvest if above..." mark]) to give more headspace or let it settle naturally--junk and all?

Just wondering what folks say about whether to skim the 'junk' off the top of my large (!)-krausen brew right now---bucket is just over half full and foam is already coming through the top of the lid and forming nice sludge on the plastic. FYI less than 24 hours after pitching.

Take some off the top (not reusing this yeast, 'quite a bit' above 6.5% [Wyeast's "do not harvest if above..." mark]) to give more headspace or let it settle naturally--junk and all?

I wouldn't skim it, unless it was coming out the top causing immediate danger to my furnishings. I would check the temperature, though, because it sounds like you've got a "hot ferment" there. Try to keep it under 70 degrees, probably closer to 65 if possible and depending on which yeast strain you used, so that you don't get fusels. I've noticed that the hotter the ferment, the more heat is produced and the hotter it gets until it's close to 80 degrees or more!

Fusels. Right. Yeast is 3864 and is ranged 65-80F--- is about 75F right now. I've dropped the ambient room temp a bit and it seems to be dropping foam level now a bit so this should probably keep it from going over in temp (yeast generating their own heat as they work of course).

I've got a spare bucket lid underneath so it's all good on that front.

Fusels. Right. Yeast is 3864 and is ranged 65-80F--- is about 75F right now. I've dropped the ambient room temp a bit and it seems to be dropping foam level now a bit so this should probably keep it from going over in temp (yeast generating their own heat as they work of course).

I've got a spare bucket lid underneath so it's all good on that front.

I've never used that yeast. I've heard that the higher fermentations produce more phenolics, but not esters, so that's interesting. Let us know how it comes out!

What are you making with that yeast? I assume a tripel?

I've never used that yeast. I've heard that the higher fermentations produce more phenolics, but not esters, so that's interesting. Let us know how it comes out!

What are you making with that yeast? I assume a tripel?

Actually, a crazy Russian Imperial Stout with some more character, on a whim. But should look back at that yeast...was hoping FOR fruity esters not phenols, but either way:
Beer shall ensue.

Actually, a crazy Russian Imperial Stout with some more character, on a whim. But should look back at that yeast...was hoping FOR fruity esters not phenols, but either way:
Beer shall ensue.

An RIS, huh? Well, that's different than I expected, that's for sure. :D

Let us know how it comes out!

Back