To rinse or not to rinse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo68710

Reaction score
So I'm doing a partial grain/extract double IPA and I'm going to steep my grains in 2.75 quarts of water at 150F for 45 minutes. I'm not going to use a grain bag and just pour the grains through a sieve into my pot. I was thinking of using 1.5 quarts of water at 170F to gently rinse my grains but my friend said it was a bad idea because I will get off tannin like flavors. Does anyone have any advice? Should I rinse or just call it good with the steep?

nothing wrong with rinsing. just make sure the water isn't too hot (170 or below). and don't squeeze the bag, that's what I understand can lead to tannin extraction.

OP- what you're doing is correct. You should be sparging (rinsing) your grains for a partial mash to get the maximum amount of fermentable sugars out of them, and 170F is exactly the right temperature water to use for that.

don't squeeze the bag, that's what I understand can lead to tannin extraction.

Nope- the only thing that will get you tannins in your beers is high pH and high temperature (above 170F).

I'm wondering why you sieved the grains? Usually after being cracked everything is added to the steep/mash.
I believe he's using the sieve to hold the grains while they're being sparged after the mash.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post. what daksin said is correct. I'm going to steep my grains with no bag then pour them through a sieve into my boiling pot then rinse them with water. Thanks for everyone's help and rinsing it is then CHEERS!

I heat my water to 180 sometimes, i check my temp and its around 160 when its sparging.I do biab and have another pot with an equal amount of water that i heat to 175ish,then drain an dunk my bag in that for about 10 min, you may find it easier to do this, but i also have a steamer pan which i further drain my bag of grains in and collect that as well after the sparge.

Back