To recirculate or not- EBIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to recirculate when I get mine set up. Why? Because I want clear wort into the kettle. I know 10 people will comment with links to the brulosophy exeriments showing it makes no difference, but I feel like my beer was better when I was using a bazooka screen and vorlaufing vs the MIAB I do now.

In fact, until I get setup for electric, I'm seriously considering going back to the bazooka. I'll definitely try it to see if I see a difference.

I hit my numbers exactly usually. Or within a point or 2. I think the numbers are figured at 75% so I guess thats where I'm at
Killing the power works out nice. Never have to worry about overheating and with the power off I can leave the house and run around without worrying about anything. Last brew day I went to the gym and came back and started the boil. Makes for an easy brew day

Thanks. I’m definitely not obsessed with efficiency either, I’m just used to a little better than 67% with BIAB. I ditched the basket and left bag sitting directly on coils. I did keep the heat on (didn’t scorch bag) during mash. And used loc line sparge arm to recirculate mash. Fun brew day and I’m happy with setup, just not sure why my efficiency is so low...
IMG_0847.JPG
IMG_0848.JPG

Nest brew day I’m going to kill heat during mash. And leave out the pump (no recirculating mash) we’ll see if that’s any better...

Funny...you think Johnny knows or cares much about efficiency lol

All Johnny cares is that the beer is good and the abv is close to where it should be....efficiency to Johnny is how quickly and easily he can bang out a tasty brew lol, that’s efficiency in Johnny’s eyes...

Some could learn something here [emoji23] lol JK!

Ahahahahaaaa!! I’m the same way. Brew 10 gal every 2 weeks or so. Don’t really care about efficiency too much, I’m just used to getting better than 67% with BIAB. I finally broke down and bought an electric setup which I love!! And is waaaay easier than my old propane fired keggle. All i care about is keeping the kegs full at the house!! Beer is life...

Ahahahahaaaa!! I’m the same way. Brew 10 gal every 2 weeks or so. Don’t really care about efficiency too much, I’m just used to getting better than 67% with BIAB. I finally broke down and bought an electric setup which I love!! And is waaaay easier than my old propane fired keggle. All i care about is keeping the kegs full at the house!! Beer is life...
5 gallons a week? Holy crap.

It is clear to me that some people don't want to just make beer, they also want to make things that make beer as part of the fun. .
Thanks. I’m definitely not obsessed with efficiency either, I’m just used to a little better than 67% with BIAB. I ditched the basket and left bag sitting directly on coils. I did keep the heat on (didn’t scorch bag) during mash. And used loc line sparge arm to recirculate mash. Fun brew day and I’m happy with setup, just not sure why my efficiency is so low...
View attachment 624778View attachment 624779

Nest brew day I’m going to kill heat during mash. And leave out the pump (no recirculating mash) we’ll see if that’s any better...
Thats a nice clean setup....so cheers to that
Killing the power and stopping the pump wont help your efficiency....as far as anyone knows...things change daily around here.....That being said give it a shot. Be sure to give a nice stir as your dumping in the the grain to get it good and mixed up. Milling your own grains seems to be the key to good efficiency. Get a mill if you dont have one

You're talking about pumps, so I'm in the right place! I'm a rookie right now.

I got into my father's hand-picked little home brewery, he also left me instructions on how to handle it, I had to spend a lot of time replacing the parts and cleaning up all the garbage that had accumulated there.

I haven't sorted out the pumps, I have an old recirculation pump in my hands and it is no longer possible to fix it. I also have an old Watts 500800, but it's all garbage. Can you tell me the shop where you order the system recirculation or the instruction on how to make it yourself?

You're talking about pumps, so I'm in the right place! I'm a rookie right now.

I got into my father's hand-picked little home brewery, he also left me instructions on how to handle it, I had to spend a lot of time replacing the parts and cleaning up all the garbage that had accumulated there.

I haven't sorted out the pumps, I have an old recirculation pump in my hands and it is no longer possible to fix it. I also have an old Watts 500800, but it's all garbage. Can you tell me the shop where you order the system recirculation or the instruction on how to make it yourself?

There's no one right answer to this question. There are a lot of places to buy homebrew equipment. I go to Brewhardware.com a lot because they have quality stuff and bobby_m (owner I assume) posts here and is really helpful.

I would start by starting a thread with pictures of what you have now along with the instructions so we can understand your starting point. Then we can sort out what you might need to get it up and running again.

Back