To re-pitch or not? That is the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemieuxp

Reaction score
I brewed a partial extract chocolate coffee stout. The OG cam in right at the targeted 1.072. FG, according to the recipe I used was set at between 1.018-1.020. It has been in the secondary and seems to have stalled out at 1.026... Should I re-pitch or just bottle?

Maybe bring the temp up a bit, if not I keep a packet of S04 for these types of emergencies.

S04 will eat through anything, and from my experience, doesn't leave much of a flavor profile.

Maybe bring the temp up a bit, if not I keep a packet of S04 for these types of emergencies.

S04 will eat through anything, and from my experience, doesn't leave much of a flavor profile.

I'm really new at this and was told that if I warm it up, it may release som bad flavors..I must also state that even though the SG has bottomed, the airlock still bubbles at maybe 3-4 bubbles/min.

if CO2 is still exiting the fermenter without agitation then fermentation is still taking place and pushing CO2 out.

Controlling your fermentation temp is pretty imperative for the first 3-4 days, but once it is finishing up, I virtually always raise the temperature up to the comfort threshold of the yeast (usually around 70-72 degrees).

No off flavors from that as most of the work is done.

How long and at what temperature was your primary fermentation?
How long and at what temperature had the secondary fermentation been?

Raising the temperature (to room temps, about 70 - 72 degrees) will not impart any off flavors. That would be a concern in the first few days of fermentation though,

Ok... Good news. I had it in the primary for 10 days and it's been in the secondary for 2 weeks. I will bring it up from the basement and hopefully get'er going again!

Yeah take it up to 70 and give it 36-48 hours and take a gravity reading. It might surprise you.

If nothing happens, there are a few things you can do that I've read about on here. Pitch some more yeast, toss in some DME or honey (in boiled/sanitized water) to get the yeast kickstarted again, or just drink sweet beer.

I brought it up from the basement on Saturday and (I know it is not a measurable way) but the bubbling is still about 1/30seconds.. There is a floating yeast cake of about 1/2".. This collapsed when I brought up the stairs but has resurfaced.... Gonna leave it go, cold crash Friday night and rack to bottles on Saturday... Will let you know how it tastes in about 2-3 weeks! Thanks all!

Back