to keg or not to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
I have bottled all of my beers to date. when i first started brewing the guy at the LHBS told me if i really got into the hobby that I would eventually keg. I've been satisfied with bottling so far, but this past weekend I started to contemplate kegging. I read all about the sanyo 4912 conversion and thought "sweet, I could do that" then I find out they dont make them anymore. Then I thought that I could always just keg and get a fridge that would fit a few cornies and not make a "kegorator" per say, just a dedicated fridge. I just dont know.....you guys and gals are pretty awesome, what do you all think?

Bottled beers rocked my world...until I got into kegging.

I'm a bit too tired to go look it up, but there is a suitable replacement for the 4912 and the conversion is darn easy. Heck...even if you didn't add a tower, a simple two-keg cooler with picnic taps is awesome.

Ain't no describing the first time to squeeze that tap and draw yourself a proper pint out of a keg.

I got a $40 apartment sized fridge and started kegging with the kegs and picnic taps. I fell in love with that, so finally have drilled the fridge and put on faucets. You can do as much, or as little as you want. A regular fridge with beer line and cobra/picnic taps works fine and still allows you to bottle a few (without sediment!) to take with you, or to send into competitions.

I love kegging, and would recommend it to anyone considering it. It doesn't have to be a big project, unless you want it to be!

no comparison. kegging is the way to go.

If you're contemplating getting a fridge and not making a kegerator out of it, save yourself the hassle and just buy the faucets to make the kegerator up front. You'll get tired of opening the door to pour a pint.. that, and the taps on the outside just look cool.

Bottled beers rocked my world...until I got into kegging.

I'm a bit too tired to go look it up, but there is a suitable replacement for the 4912 and the conversion is darn easy. Heck...even if you didn't add a tower, a simple two-keg cooler with picnic taps is awesome.

Ain't no describing the first time to squeeze that tap and draw yourself a proper pint out of a keg.

I saw the oster conversion, and that doesn't seem too bad, but getting one of those would be pretty pricey, I'm thinking that getting a fridge off of craigs list and using the picnic taps like you say would be the way to go for me at this point. How long does a 5lbs co2 tank last and how much does it usually cost to fill them? I dont have a clue haha, thats the one cost I can't figure out

I don't know how long exactly a 5 # tank lasts. Maybe 8 kegs? I use co2 for force carbing, topping off/purging the keg, etc, so I probably waste some. I found a 10 pound tank here in the classifieds a while back, so I have that one now but I had a 5# only for about a year and a half or so. It's cheap to fill around here, but it depends on your gas place. I pay around $7 to fill a 5 pound tank, and $10 to fill a 10 pound tank.

I don't know how long exactly a 5 # tank lasts. Maybe 8 kegs? I use co2 for force carbing, topping off/purging the keg, etc, so I probably waste some. I found a 10 pound tank here in the classifieds a while back, so I have that one now but I had a 5# only for about a year and a half or so. It's cheap to fill around here, but it depends on your gas place. I pay around $7 to fill a 5 pound tank, and $10 to fill a 10 pound tank.

that price sounds good, I really had no idea. I'm pretty sure my LHBS fills them, so i'll just ask them next time i head that way. I guess i'm just trying to find out most of the cost or at least get a good idea.

I bought my set up from kegconnection.com. I got a 5# tank, all the lines, a regulator that would dispense two kegs, and three kegs for about $250. You can probably piece it together cheaper, but this came all intact. I was a little intimidated by all the gear at first, so I wanted it to be fool-proof. Later I realized how easy it really is!

I put that $250 set up in the $40 fridge, and I was in business.

I bought my set up from kegconnection.com. I got a 5# tank, all the lines, a regulator that would dispense two kegs, and three kegs for about $250. You can probably piece it together cheaper, but this came all intact. I was a little intimidated by all the gear at first, so I wanted it to be fool-proof. Later I realized how easy it really is!

I put that $250 set up in the $40 fridge, and I was in business.

thanks Yoop:fro: I was looking at keg connection last night and I think that's probably where I'll get my stuff. even the shipping was cheap. I like the idea that it's all set up. I'm pretty hand around the house but i'm not an engineer so some of that stuff can be intimidating to me haha

I take it that the Cornelius "corny" kegs found on Ebay can be outfitted with a pressure release valve fairly easily?

I was fortunate enough to get into kegging and all grain at the same time. If I had to pick between the two, I'd choose kegging first.

Your setup can be as simple as two kegs, a 5# tank and some cobra taps. It's easy to upgrade a few pieces at at time, and not having to bottle is great.

Plus, the whole cool factor of having beer on tap even if you don't have many people to share it with, is something that can't be denied.

I was fortunate enough to get into kegging and all grain at the same time. If I had to pick between the two, I'd choose kegging first.

Your setup can be as simple as two kegs, a 5# tank and some cobra taps. It's easy to upgrade a few pieces at at time, and not having to bottle is great.

Plus, the whole cool factor of having beer on tap even if you don't have many people to share it with, is something that can't be denied.

I've seen some setups sold with a soda keg and tap on the side attached to the keg. If one is doing natural carbonation, could one use this setup and avoid the extra expenses?

How much is a total keg setup in its simplest iteration?

Keg em man...no question. Easier to rack, carb, and if you want to bottle than just use BM's bottle filler. I got a fridge off craigslist for $30 and a entry-level kegging system with 2 kegs for $180 with the CO2 tank. Could not be happier about going to kegging.

Just to pile on...KEG. Anyway, when was the last time you heard anyone say, "Yeah I used to keg my beers, but I gave it up for bottling."

I just received my kegging kit today. I cant wait until this weekend going to be filing the co2 tank and kegging my first two beers.

I found a guy on CL near me with a near endless supply of cornys for 20 bucks a pop.

I just gotta find myself a nice chest freezer and Ill be good to go.

Back