to keg or bottle??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
Right now I have a very simple set up for my keg system. it consists of a 10Lb co2 bottle, with a single gauge that is attached to a 2 way manifold. I manly brew Ales.

Here is my dilemma, I am going to be brewing a stout on Monday. So in 2 weeks i will either be bottling or kegging. I will have a full, or almost full keg of a red ale on my system. From what I have been reading, my psi will be set for the red ale at 14psi at 40F(yes i know its on the high side of carbonation), but for the stout it calls for 8 psi. So should i bottle my stout or keg it?

My thoughts on Kegging: If my understanding is correct, I could over carb my stout, basically putting it on my system at 14 psi for the 2 weeks ( i hook it up and forget about it, but due to the higher pressure i'm thinking for a week). At which i would turn the gas off and let my stout sit in the keezer. When I would like a glass of my stout, i can turn the gas down to 8, turn the gas on to my stout, depressurize it,(on my first glass) and pour me a glass, then turn the gas off again, and raise my pressure back up to 14 for my ale.

I'm not really sure, and have not found anything that says how long my beer will hold the carbonation in the kegs with no force co2.

Option 2 is to bottle my stout

Whats your thoughts on this, and ideas?

I'm not really sure, and have not found anything that says how long my beer will hold the carbonation in the kegs with no force co2.
If you have no leaks they will hold carbonation basically forever as there is no place the CO2 can escape to inside the keg.

Back