To decoct or not to decoct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithjw24

Reaction score
So I am gearing up to brew my German style pilsner for the third time. Both time I brewed the pilsner I stuck to a very strict triple decoction schedule. Both brews were a success, and boy did it teast great.
So my buddy and I constantly argue whether or not we need to decoct, or just simply do a multi step mash schedule and save the hassle and time. I constantly get mixed reviews from articals and other homebrewers whether or not it is neccessary. Decoction in the olden days was used because thermometers did not exists. So I ask, is there a difference in the final results? To decoct or not decoct?
I say decoct....

Well... I think it really depends a lot on the malt you use. I have made both Helles and Pils using domestic 2 row and a high temp (158F) single infusion with fantastic results. I have made a number of German or Czech styles commercially and have had great response. A German trained colleague was extremely impressed with my Pils, Doppelbock and Dunkel Weizen. One of the servers at this particular pub was a German girl that really knew her beer, she told me that my Pils was as good as she was used to back home. Ok, it was actually a Bo Pils, but still. I would have to look at my notes on it for the specifics, but iirc it was 14 Plato, I used Great Western 2row, Tomahawk to bitter and a couple additions of Czech Saaz at the end. Fermentis S 23 fermented very cold.

AT any rate, I would say again it depends on the malt you are using. If a less modified, continental-style malt then, YES decoct, no question. If a highly modified domestic type malt, then it probably isn't even worth stepping.

I have also had success with just a single decoction. Bring 60% of the grist to 125F and hold it. Bring the other 40% to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes then add it to the 125F resting portion, that should bring the entire mash to about 150-152 and hold that for the remaining 40 minutes.

I say brew it without decocting and see if you can tell the difference, if you can (or can't) then you can debunk (or prove) what you've read other people say.

I for one would be interested in hearing your results

I use pilsner malt carapils and Vienna and saaz for the hops.

Yep, that could get you there too when used in the right proportions...

Whether you decoct with an undermodified pilsner malt, infusion with a highly modified malt, do something in between, whatever... There's more than one way to skin a cat... In the end, all that matters is what hits the glass

Yep, that could get you there too when used in the right proportions...

Whether you decoct with an undermodified pilsner malt, infusion with a highly modified malt, do something in between, whatever... There's more than one way to skin a cat... In the end, all that matters is what hits the glass

Agreed. Try a bunch of ways and see what you like best. There is no best way that beer should beer brewed. Some people like to tinker and do all kinds of things, even things that might make no difference in the final product. That doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. In a commercial setting this would be different, but not on the hobby scale

I say brew it without decocting and see if you can tell the difference, if you can (or can't) then you can debunk (or prove) what you've read other people say.

I for one would be interested in hearing your results

One has to be careful here and avoid making blanket statements about whether something is worth doing or not/true or false. This is very subjective. I'm sure there are people who are very good tasters who could tell if a beer was decocted or not, and then there are people who probably couldn't tell the difference between a beer with 20 IBUs versus 40 IBUs. For the most part, all one can do is prove/debunk is whether it matters to themselves

I brew a lot of lagers. For the record, I've only done one decoction. I liked the results, but I usually have more things going on while I'm brewing so I don't have time. I do however do lots of step mashes and make judicious use of specialty grains to add extra depth to my beers

Back