To cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pike

Reaction score
I started fermentation my Amber Ale on 3/19/08 and it has been two days since. I put my primary 5 gal. bucket in my cellar where it is right around 60 degrees. The brew was doing fine for the first 24 hr. My lock was bubbling, I took it's Temp. a couple times in that first 24 hrs. (With Sterile thermometer.) and it stayed at around 70 degrees. But today I have found that it has stopped bubbling and when I looked at it I found no foam. When I checked the temp I found it has fallen to 60 degrees.
Have I ruined it by putting it in too low of a temp. environment? I have since taken it up stairs in my house where the temp is 70 degrees. Will it start to ferment again?

60F is definitely on the low side but it should still be fermenting, just more slowly. The airlock isn't a good gauge of fermentation progress however, the only way to know is by taking a hydrometer reading.

Keep it at 70F for another week and then take a reading and see how it's doing. I bet it's just fine. :mug:

that initial reading of 70 was probably slight exothermic reaction that the container was keeping in(fermentation produces heat) fermentation slowed a bit and stopped producing so much heat so it equalized with the temp in the basement is my guess. Most ale yeasts have a working flocculation range of 65-75. you need to keep it upstairs, your basement is too cold. you didnt hurt it but it will taste more like an ale and ferment quicker upstairs

Yes, agreed. I was thinking the fermentation would add to much heat through the first few days fermentation so I opted for the cellar. But I will keep it upstairs from now on. It does seem to be starting to bubble again through my lock, so I think I'm good to go. Thanks

Back