To bottle or not to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLuck

Reaction score
Hi all, first post after lurking awhile. Doing my first solo brew and everything going well at this point. English bitter partial extract brew OG was 1.048 and right now after 9 days in primary is 1.020.
Fermentation temp has been 62-64 deg and was good start but lately has slowed down a lot on the bubbling. Now the question is I got called early for work and will have to leave in 2 days for 2-3 weeks; Do I bottle that last day or can I leave in primary for that long extra?

Thanks in advanced.

If the FG is stable for the last few days you could, but another couple of weeks would be fine - no rush...

Instead of rushing, just bottle it when you get back. 4-6 weeks really isn't that long. Since you only have the one reading of 1.020, it could still be fermenting. You do NOT want to bottle until it's done fermenting. Especially since you'll be away for 2-3 weeks. It would really suck to come home to broken glass and beer remains on the floor where the bottles once were.

BTW, 'partial extract'??? You mean extract with specialty grains, right?? Or was this a partial mash (where you mashed the grain and simply added some DME/LME to increase the OG slightly)??

Back