To All grain from extract.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cknittle

Reaction score
I want to go from extract to all grain brewing. What are the major necessities that I don't already have for extract brewing. I have the standard fermenting bucket, bottling bucket, a 5 gallon better bottle, 3.5 gallon kettle, strainers, thermometers, a hydrometer and various smaller items. What else do I need to switch?

If you go to BIAB all-grain, you need almost nothing else. Maybe a bigger kettle, and a mesh bag.

Large burner (turkey-fryer works fine)
Large Kettle/pot (comes with the turkey-fryer burner)
The above will cost you about $40 if you go the turkey-fryer route

Improvised Mash Tun- I usually just keep it in my kettle, I hear coolers work too for better temp control
Improvised Lauder Tun- I usually put a strainer inside my bottling bucket and sparge the grains through that
Mesh bag, like $4.00
Floating Thermometer- To measure your Mash Temps, about $6

Optional:
Wort Chiller- Full boils take forever to cool w/o one
A proper Mash-tun- better temp control
A proper Lauder tun- better efficiency, less burned hands
A helper monkey- An extra pair of hands makes everything easier

There's a sticky up above that talks about the techniques for doing all-grain with improvised equipment.

As far as a proper mash tun goes you can use a mesh bag and a cooler, 5-10 gallons is a good size, fairly effectively. I brewed several batches on an all grain system like this before I bought myself a mash tun :cross:. The coolers is ideal because it holds your mash temperature very well over the course of your mash (I lost 1 or 2 degrees per hour). The floor burner is a very nice addition but not a necessity, especially because it looks like you're set up to do 3 gallon batches of beer (feel free to correct me if Im wrong)? A larger kettle would be a good addition but again not necessary, particularly if you are going without the floor burner. If you decide to get a kettle go for a stainless steel one (check amazon, I bought my 15 gallon kettle for $100! :rockin:) they are easier to keep clean than an aluminum one. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

yea, you can get away w/ a 3.5 gallon boil on a stovetop, but if your doing a full batch (5gallons) you need to comfortably hold 6.5 gallons until it boils down to your final 5.

My turkey fryer that came w/ the 12 gallon Aluminum stockpot cost me $40 at Walmart. Stainless steel is in most respects better, but for what was basically a $20 pot I dont care if it only lasts a couple years.

Latest posts

Back