Tips on water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushizell

Reaction score
So I brewed my 3rd batch today, first time using RO water. A few other novice brewers I know are making Irish Reds and they asked if I wanted to bring my own to their St. Patrick's Day beer swap. Since my first two batches ended up with some sorta twang (either from the tap water, or the LME) I decided to go pretty simple for this brew. The use of the whirlfloc tablet and RO water really cleaned this brew up and it was the first time my wort actually tasted of quality.

2.5 Gal batch
3.7 Gal used total
1.048 OG
23.1 IBU

3oz Crystal 40L
3oz Crystal 120L
2oz Roasted Barley 300L
3Lb Extra Light Plain Extract
0.5oz Ekg 6.6% 60 min
0.5oz UK Fuggle 5% 30min
0.6 Whirlfloc tablet 10mins (was difficult to break in half lol)
English Salfale dry yeast.

It's just now in the fermenter, but I'm pretty excitied by the way the wort turned out. Roasted notes and Carmel toffee and everything! Is this a good sign of things to come? Does anyone have any tips on adjusting the recipe with salts since it's been ran through RO? Chloride to increase mouthfeel? I have gypsum and calcium chloride from my LHBS. But I'm not sure how much to use etc. The beer appears to be light in flavor but still delicious, and should ring in at 4.5%
20180204_162226.jpg

Thanks! I'll look into that. I thought I saw something about brunwater when I was watching a YouTube video, it looked pretty intense lol

Thanks! I'll look into that. I thought I saw something about brunwater when I was watching a YouTube video, it looked pretty intense lol
I just looks that way at first. I'd suggest reading the water knowledge section on his site first before diving into the spreadsheet. It'll make more sense and not seem so overwhelming. Once you start reading about it, water chemistry really isn't too hard to understand.

So did you just use 100% RO water, with no mineral additions? The result is pretty surprising - I was under the impression that a lot of those minerals/molecules were almost necessary at certain levels for flavor/fermentation.

I was under the impression that a lot of those minerals/molecules were almost necessary at certain levels for flavor/fermentation.

I keep reading that as well. That is why (keep in mind, I am completely amateur when it comes to altering brewing water) I never recommend people install RO systems (please do not read that as "I think RO systems have no place in homebrewing"). When I read Charlie P's book I remember reading about how different minerals are needed for yeast health and a proper mash.

And I have read that the methods to properly add back some minerals (chalk?) back to brewing water are more involved than just measuring it out, adding it, and mixing it up. I don't have access to my brewing water book at the moment to remember what specific compounds/minerals those are. I figure I shouldn't completely remove something that I might need.

So I always say to get your water tested first. And when I brew (usually partial-extract) I almost always use filtered tap water with CaCl for strike water, distilled/RO that I treat with CaCl and/or gypsum for sparging, and (if I need to) I top off with more filtered tap water.

Latest posts

Back