Tips on booking airline tickets? Planning summer vacation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbiLynn

Reaction score
I am so confused. A week ago the tickets were $423, this week they are $400, 3 weeks ago they were $299. I still have about 2.5 months before my trip. On the flights I'm looking at, half the seats are still empty if you view seating charts. I read on one site, always best to buy 6 weeks before trip, another site said that the best time was 3 weeks before. I'm going to keep checking weekly how many seats are left. And try to get them at the best rate.

Any frequent flyers with tips for me? Or, for anyone else trying to plan a summer vacation.

Not scientific, and a bit risky, but I've found that two weeks before is usually my best rate.

I guess that will depend on how many seats still available as the days draw closer. And probably shooting myself in the foot for wanting a particular flight. Short layover on the way there, but 4 hour layover in Atlanta, GA on the way back. I have friends there. And perfect timing to meet up with them for lunch, they have never met my son. It'll just be me and him traveling.

I am so frugal with my money and don't understand why the rates change with seemingly no rhyme or reason.

:confused:

If you're looking to book online, I've heard that the websites place cookies on your computer. Once you visit the site, you will see one rate, then if you visit it again, it recognizes the cookie on your computer and displays a different rate. I'm not sure if this is 100% true or not, but I've heard it's recommended to delete your browsing history (cookies and all) when booking online...

I feel it depends on where and how far you are travelling. I fly from Rhode Island to Florida and have looked at all the online booking sites. I have never found anything that comes even close to the fares on Southwest Airlines. I would limit the distance to about that far. They fly 737's and they fill them. It is cramped seating and the seats are uncomfortable.

Southwest has some really good online only pricing and I can often get a one way price for under $150 right around Christmas. You will need some flexibility on the days of the week you can fly.

Jet Blue started flying the same route so I am going to check them for my next trip.

If you're looking to book online, I've heard that the websites place cookies on your computer. Once you visit the site, you will see one rate, then if you visit it again, it recognizes the cookie on your computer and displays a different rate. I'm not sure if this is 100% true or not, but I've heard it's recommended to delete your browsing history (cookies and all) when booking online...

I've heard that too.

If you see a price that's within your budget I would go ahead and snag it and then don't look at the price again. Ticket prices seem tied to some arbitrary formula that has to do with the alignment of certain planets and stars within undiscovered solar systems.

I stressed for a couple weeks over getting a ticket for my last trip. Checking and deleting my cookies and then checking again and it didn't seem to make much difference. It got to the point where I was putting way to much effort in to it and just pulled the trigger and forgot about it.

As far as the cookie thing goes, I used 3 different computers, 2 of which for the first time, and I received the same prices.

Keep in mind there is value to booking a flight, being done with it and knowing you have tickets, even if you didn't buy at the rock-bottom price.

I try to get the best prices on flights, but I've also waited too long and been burned. For me it sucks worse to get burned and have to stress out figuring out alternative travel than to suck up paying the rock-bottom price.

That is quite a drop in price; I'd probably book it and not look back just so I can cry over spilled milk...

"You tell us the most you can afford, and we'll sell you a ticket at that price"
--the airlines

Sounds like I am not alone, confused about airline prices. I don't understand how they do business this way and still stay in business. Oh wait, some of them don't... stay in business, that is. I am going to bite the bullet and just order the tickets. Yeah. Peace of mind knowing that part of the trip is paid for. I just want to travel this summer, I don't understand why buying something has to be so confusing.

It doesn't make any sense to me.

None make sense. Looked at seven different airlines. Finally went with southwest. Three of us round trip. 2,000, airline tickets suck.

I booked my Xmas vacation last year then found I could stay an extra 2 days. I when to Southwest.com and found a flight that was actually $75 cheaper. A couple of clicks and the change was made.

Back