Tips for minimizing mess while brewing on a stovetop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vance

Reaction score
I currently brew in my backyard, where I don't need to care how much wort gets dripped around. There's a lot - lifting my bag (single vessel BIAB) out of the kettle to drain it, pulling my wort chiller out after it's done, pouring from kettle to fermenter since I don't have a valve - there's just generally a lot of avenues to make a mess in my current process.

I'm moving my brewing inside soon, since I have a gorgeous gas stove that can definitely handle 3 gallon batches, and possibly 5 with a bit of assistance, but I'm still trying to work out how to not make a mess (and draw the wrath of my SO). I'm definitely going to drill a hole in my kettle for a valve, for one, so I'm not lifting and pouring wort. I'm thinking of going to a two vessel system, and getting a cheap pump to move in between with hopefully no leaks, but I'm not sure what's going to happen there. The biggest question I have is chilling - I have a Hydra chiller, which I think I'll need to replace as I'm pretty sure a pump won't be able to push enough water to make it work well. I have a sink right across from my stove that I could hook up a chiller to, if I can figure out how, but I'm still not sure how to minimize the mess from it.

Any tips? Thanks!

I currently brew in my backyard, where I don't need to care how much wort gets dripped around. There's a lot - lifting my bag (single vessel BIAB) out of the kettle to drain it, pulling my wort chiller out after it's done, pouring from kettle to fermenter since I don't have a valve - there's just generally a lot of avenues to make a mess in my current process.

I'm moving my brewing inside soon, since I have a gorgeous gas stove that can definitely handle 3 gallon batches, and possibly 5 with a bit of assistance, but I'm still trying to work out how to not make a mess (and draw the wrath of my SO). I'm definitely going to drill a hole in my kettle for a valve, for one, so I'm not lifting and pouring wort. I'm thinking of going to a two vessel system, and getting a cheap pump to move in between with hopefully no leaks, but I'm not sure what's going to happen there. The biggest question I have is chilling - I have a Hydra chiller, which I think I'll need to replace as I'm pretty sure a pump won't be able to push enough water to make it work well. I have a sink right across from my stove that I could hook up a chiller to, if I can figure out how, but I'm still not sure how to minimize the mess from it.

Any tips? Thanks!
SS cookie pans, use as catch basins.

Having valves and tubing definitely helps with clean transfer.

Have multiple buckets for various uses so your not having to reuse a vessel for your next step.

Plan out your process so you have all your equipment staged and at the ready.

Finally have a 1 gal bucket of star san with some clean rags for quick sanitary clean up if there are drips and spills.

Sometimes when the grains are heavy, I place cardboard on the floor and place vessels side by side to lift out and transfer the grain bag after mashing. Small drips and spills no problem, but it means lifting, which isn't that much making 3 gallon batches. If it is a lower gravity beer, I'll hold a bucket right near the kettle and transfer not messy, same would work for the wort chiller. I'm luck to have a big farmhouse sink, so the kettle goes right in with room to spare.

I wouldn't be angry with a SO, as long as they cleaned up any mess they made.

For me the #1 is probably an extra set of hands but I know this is not possible for everyone.

I would say regardless of setup and all other factors, having the brewday planned out with buckets, star-san, towels all necessary logistical items at the ready will ensure your beer and kitchen come out excellent.

I clean the stove top regularly when brewing indoors, wash the dishes, clear off the counters and wipe them down. If SWMBO gives me a hard time, I 'forget' to do these tasks and leave it for her (making sure I clean up my mess). She doesn't complain much anymore since cleaning the stove top (90% her mess) is a job she hates doing.

Back