Tips for bottling in plastic bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakeBrewer101

Reaction score
I've been home brewing for five years now and have bottled in plastic the whole time, so I thought I would share a couple of tips to anyone that might be interested. I use a bottling bucket with a bottling wand and I like to have the beer at room temp so the sugar solution distributes evenly. After you fill the plastic bottle with beer, screw the cap on almost all the way and squeeze the bottle until beer comes out and then tighten. This will help prevent oxygen in your beer. My favorite plastic bottles are 16.9 oz root beer bottles which is perfect for a pint and I also use 2 liter plastic bottles for when friends come over or I know I'm going to have at least four beers. If you slowly pour into a growler, you can leave the yeast and sediment behind and serve out of the growler. Enjoy your beer!

Dane:mug:

I wouldn't bother squeezing out the air (needlessly messy IMHO). The little bit of oxygen (air is mostly nitrogen) in the headspace won't hurt your beer. Wine is aged for years in bottles that aren't filled completely.

Some of the oxygen that's in the headspace will be used up by the yeast during the carbonation process. The little bit left over isn't a big deal.

You have shared great tips with us, but do you know that squeezing a bottle can create negative pressure inside it ???

You have shared great tips with us, but do you know that squeezing a bottle can create negative pressure inside it ???

Back