Tips For Bottling a High Gravity Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
I'm going to bottle a 9.5% imperial stout soon, and have never bottled a beer this big. I'm wondering if there is anything special I need to do to ensure proper carbonation since whatever yeast is left can't be in great shape I'm assuming. Thanks in advance.

Last time I bottled a big one like that, I added some fresh 05 dry at bottling time. Maybe it was unnecessary, but it game me peace of mind as I waited months and months for it to carb.

Oh, and big beers take months to carbonate, so be patient.

CBC-1 yeast is specifically sold for that purpose. It specifically lists recommended amounts of yeast to use per vollume based on time-to-carb for high gravities.

I had a couple that were around that %. I just did the priming sugar and kept them warm. They were fully carbed in about 3 weeks. Something you can do to help sometimes is to gently tip the bottles upside down and back then put them back for more time. I have had to do this with a few of my beers, but for the most part I haven't had an issue.

I did have a raspberry wheat that was around 9.2% and it sat in the primary for nearly 2 months and secondary for 5 months ... life issues at the time and using a friend's equipment happened. we were worried the yeast would be dead. They weren't...it took about a month - 5 weeks to carb, but it was great. Drank the last bottle a year after brewing and it was still good.

Latest posts

Back