Tips for a first time AG brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orghitman

Reaction score
I've brewed about 6 or so extracts and a couple partial mashes at this point and now I'm making the move to all grain. I've digested plenty of instructions on all grain brewing but thought it would be a good idea to ask the community if they have any tips for a first time AG brewer they would like to share? Specifically anything about the process that would be could help prevent me from making some rookie mistakes or tips on how to get the most out of AG brewing.

Equipment wise Im using a 10 gallon pot and 50 quart cooler mash tun and planning on starting out with 5 galling batches. Thanks for any shared wisdom in advanced.

mine started tasting better once I introduced pure oxygen. I guess I could have been doing that with extract when I started out.

have some Dry Malt Extract on hand just in case you do not hit your OG, also check your thermometer to be sure it accurate

it sucks to find out after the fact you mashed way too hot or cold

all the best

S_M

I agree. Read this first (link), then have the DME on hand in case you still flub.

I've done 11 AG batches and half of them I hit the numbers right (luck). Up till now I didn't think about how important it was to know what your gravity was after the wort was collected. I just worried what my OG was after post boil. The above link should make it easier to gauge what you will end up with once the boil is done.

I felt enlightened and stupid at the same time when I read that article.

I agree. Read this first (link), then have the DME on hand in case you still flub.

I've done 11 AG batches and half of them I hit the numbers right (luck). Up till now I didn't think about how important it was to know what your gravity was after the wort was collected. I just worried what my OG was after post boil. The above link should make it easier to gauge what you will end up with once the boil is done.

I felt enlightened and stupid at the same time when I read that article.

Thanks for that link. Very good info. I'm thinking about brewing an IIPA as my first batch so that is especially enlightening.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

high gravity beer with a big grain might not be the place to start but with that being said

it is your brew so do as you think is best

S_M

I hear you and I've thought about that but personally I go high gravity most every time. One of the main reasons I moving to AG is so I don't have to use so much malt extract to get to 8% abv.

I hear you and I've thought about that but personally I go high gravity most every time. One of the main reasons I moving to AG is so I don't have to use so much malt extract to get to 8% abv.

what is your grain bill for your recipe ? again have some DME on hand it is easier to have a lower efficient with a bigger grain bill

all the best

S_M

Buy the best damn most accurate thermometer you can afford.

I'm been fighting 'mouthfeel' when all along it was that "works great honey" timer/thermometer thing that the Misses makes fantastic meals with.

Oh, and Light DME will be your friend real soon. :D

'da Kid

Since I moved from Oregon to the east coast I can't get my favorite double IPA Ninkasi Tricerahops anymore so I am thinking about brewing something similar to that.

Grain bill:
13 lbs 2-Row Pale
2 lb Munich
2lb Carahell

Ninkasi is great as they list the grains, hops, IBUs, and OG for their beers on their website. With the recipe I have according to brewsmith the OG should be 1.084. I know it's not small. I will definitely have some light dme handy in case it's low. I'm still debating if I should go this route for the first AG batch. I brew with 3 other friends and we rotate houses. This will be our first AG between us and we want to do something hoppy so I figure why not go big.

org

You will probably be fine with that recipe. I like to keep below the 1.060 range for most brews... mainly due to my vessel size that I prefer using (I have other vessels, but like to keep it simple with the 7-gallon kettle). Plus, if you have not brewed smaller beers yet and figured out what kind of conversion/efficiency you can achieve, you might be wasting $ and time.. I am just now hitting the 80-85% efficiency range... the only way that I have achieved this is with the BIAB and crushing the hell out of the grain.

Whatever your choice, I would put money down that you will result in a drinkable beer in the end!

Latest posts

Back