Tip for extract w/ steeping grain brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berwick12

Reaction score
I'm lazy, lets just start off with that, and I also like to keep my hands free while I'm moving around the kitchen. So I realized a better way to drain after steeping your grains in a muslin bag to keep from burning off your darn fingers.

I used to hold the muslin bag in one hand and pour a half gallon of hot water to sparge the grains. Burning my fingers. Every. Time. Last brew I stabbed at the top of the bag with a fork and hung it over the side. I used the lip of the kettle as the fulcrum and handle as the base. Thus keeping my hands free while it drains. See pictures

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

Great idea! I hang my grain bags from the microwave handle above the stove. I do it for the same reasons too damn hot and I don't want to be standing there holding it. If we weren't lazy we wound have never invented the wheel.

I take a bakers cooling rack and put across the top of my kettle, then put the bag on top the rack to drain. This makes rinsing the grains easy and prevents channeling.

I take a bakers cooling rack and put across the top of my kettle, then put the bag on top the rack to drain. This makes rinsing the grains easy and prevents channeling.

a cooling rack? Brilliant!

I used to put them in a colander in a different pot while I start heating the runoff for the boil, then pour those drippings in as they accumulate.

I get my kids to hold the bag, that way there fingers get burnt and not mine... IM KIDDING, IMMM KIIIDDDDING. strainer....:)

Back