Tip for extract w/ steeping grain brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

berwick12

Reaction score
I'm lazy, lets just start off with that, and I also like to keep my hands free while I'm moving around the kitchen. So I realized a better way to drain after steeping your grains in a muslin bag to keep from burning off your darn fingers.

I used to hold the muslin bag in one hand and pour a half gallon of hot water to sparge the grains. Burning my fingers. Every. Time. Last brew I stabbed at the top of the bag with a fork and hung it over the side. I used the lip of the kettle as the fulcrum and handle as the base. Thus keeping my hands free while it drains. See pictures

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

stlblues5010

Reaction score
Great idea! I hang my grain bags from the microwave handle above the stove. I do it for the same reasons too damn hot and I don't want to be standing there holding it. If we weren't lazy we wound have never invented the wheel.

JDBrewer

Reaction score
I take a bakers cooling rack and put across the top of my kettle, then put the bag on top the rack to drain. This makes rinsing the grains easy and prevents channeling.

CHUM_

Reaction score
i just put mine in a strainer....that rests on top of the pot.

But I like JDbrewer's idea better

tjnowak

Reaction score
Colander/strainer works well, just let it rest over the brew kettle for a minute

Brazil

Reaction score
I take a bakers cooling rack and put across the top of my kettle, then put the bag on top the rack to drain. This makes rinsing the grains easy and prevents channeling.
a cooling rack? Brilliant!

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I used to put them in a colander in a different pot while I start heating the runoff for the boil, then pour those drippings in as they accumulate.

OP
berwick12

berwick12

Reaction score
The reason why I did the fork is because none of the colanders that I have span the pot opening.

MrFeltimo

Reaction score
I get my kids to hold the bag, that way there fingers get burnt and not mine... IM KIDDING, IMMM KIIIDDDDING. strainer....:)