Tiny amount of oxiclean in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephort

Reaction score
I'm not a new brewer- just new to this site- but this section seems most appropriate for "help I messed up" type posts.

I believe I have added a very small quantity of oxiclean to the saison I just brewed. After transferring the wort from my kettle to my carboy I went to take a sample as usual. In addition to my bucket of starsan, I had a bucket of oxiclean solution I was using to clean some equipment that had been sitting in the basement, and I'm pretty certain I sanitized my thief in the wrong bucket. My only defense is that a friend had come by to help and we had sampled a couple of my other recent beers over the course of the brewday.

Because I thought I had used starsan I didn't rinse the thief, though I did try to shake off as much of the foam as possible. I quickly stuck it into the carboy, withdrew it, took a hydrometer reading, and poured the sample out, so there wasn't much contact. I would guess that only a very small amount of oxiclean made it into the carboy- possibly a couple of drops in ~4.5 gallons. I've already pitched yeast and am just going to see what happens. Is there anything in particular I should watch for or worry about? Is there anything I can do to minimize my chances of off flavors or fermentation problems?

Thanks, and cheers!

If it was just a small amount the yeast should scavenge up the oxygen from the peroxide and more then likely there is enough buffering by the wort so the carbonate won't effect the pH.

Good to know. Head retention is one thing I'm curious about- I've heard that even minuscule amounts of dish soap left on a glass can kill head, possibly a similar effect here? But I suppose it's too late to do anything but wait and see.

I've got vigorous bubbling and a good Krausen now, so no adverse effects on fermentation.

Back