Time to take the plunge... Single Tier Plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think that will support them efficiently? Don't forget how much liquid will be in those pots during a 10 gallon batch!

Yes, it'll be fine. The little "stubs" are only 3" long and no one stub will aver be capable of bearing the full weight of the kettle alone. They're really only there to help out in the event that the kettle shifts on the main frame members and come off-center on the square aperture. The stand is so overkill that I'm not at all concerned about it supporting the weight.

frame_with_kegs.bmp

This is the design I will most likely be going with. I'm going to see my buddy today about the welding. Since this system may be used as a pilot brewery for a friends business, I may have to go with stainless steel. I haven't decided on my pump mounting yet, so those are there for effect right now until I decide on my control panel system. I will be doing an electric HLT with a Herms coil and a gas boil kettle. The kegs are going to the welder today to have the final couplers welded in. Next, I'll be designing "Sumo's" two-tier pyramid system.

that is a great support design, what type of buners are you going to run

Have you considered a "Tippy Dump"? Seems like a good feature. But you would have to plan for it and extend the length of the frame to have room for the pivot frame. Just a thought.

It could be easily integrated into this... I have considered it, however I have a special surprise once the build is complete...

Alrighty... I got the quote for the stainless tubing today. It looks like I'll be going with 1.5x1.5" 14 gauge SS tubing. For the price, I'll be able to make the system more portable than with 1/8 tubing walls and keep cost down. I'll be going with a similiar system as MNBugeater's propane system. I'm trying to decide between going with love controllers (cost effective) and one of the BCS systems with a mini-computer and touch screen. For now, I'll probably be going with the love controllers since that will cut costs by over 600+. I'll save the touch screen upgrade for when I get a great deal on ebay or the like...

You don't have a laptop you can use for the BCS?

Actually, the laptop is only for the monitoring during the process. The BCS doesn't need to be hooked up to do it's job. Just wire an alarm so it can tell you when the next state begins.

Do it right the first time.

Also, if you do need a computer, just grab a cheapo netbook.

After much discussion with "nicksteck" I have found no reason to use a high pressure gas system.

My direct fired boil kettle will consist of:
Low pressure hurricane burner
Honeywell Pilot burner
Honeywell Thermocouple
BASO L62GB-3C Pilot Switch
ASCO Red Hat low pressure solenoid
Love Controller

My HLT with HERMS Coil will consist of:
25' 1/2" SS Coil
1650W Heating Element
Auber Instruments PID controller with relay output

My MLT will not be direct fired.

As for the steel, I'm going to be buying 40' of 2x2" 14 gauge SS tubing for the frame. I'm waiting to hear back from my welder on a price for the build.

I'm also considering installed some speakers and a MP3 Player directly into the control panel just for kicks!

You definately don't need the center supports. Trust me!

Mine is built from 2"x2" steel, no supports and it would hold a few tons in the center.

I second what everyone's said about weight savings. That steel is heavy!

So for someone 5'10", is this too tall you think? I want to be able to stir and look inside without getting on my tippy toes. Other than that, I want to build this exact stand with the exception of using angled steal for a diamond pattern for the vessel supports.

frame_with_kegs.bmp

I really like this design, but what does everyone think about the welds for the angled steel keg supports. Strong enough to hold 10 gal batches?

Just got off the phone with the steel shop. They only have 11 gauge or 3/16 (thicker). What should I go with for 1.5" x 1.5" do you think?

Just got off the phone with the steel shop. They only have 11 gauge or 3/16 (thicker). What should I go with for 1.5" x 1.5" do you think?

11 Gauge is approximately 0.12" thick, 3/16" is 0.1875". Very minimal difference, and as far as steel strenth for the weight you will put on it, 11 gauge is plenty if in tube form. (I'm a structural engineer, fwiw)

After much discussion with "nicksteck" I have found no reason to use a high pressure gas system.

My direct fired boil kettle will consist of:
Low pressure hurricane burner
Honeywell Pilot burner
Honeywell Thermocouple
BASO L62GB-3C Pilot Switch
ASCO Red Hat low pressure solenoid

Slightly :off: - my apologies....

Any idea what the cost will come to for the list above? Reason I ask is I currently use the old cast iron burners but I'm in the process of planning an upgrade to my brewery (BCS/automation). My options are to go electric or convert everything to low pressure using the set-up you are thinking about. Just trying to get a rough idea of what 1 set-up of the above would run...

Looking forward to following your build. Cheers!

Check out Wayne1's single tier build. I think it's one of the best I've seen. Although all I've seen are better than mine.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/brewstand-build-finished-1st-brew-today-117290/

Thank you Dog House Brew. I LOVE the look of lehr's build. I wish I could have afforded to do the frame in stainless.

Anthony, I really like the design you are working with. I think the kettle supports look great and are very practical. I would suggest spreading the kettles a bit farther apart. The burners will heat up the kettles which will directly transfer their thermal energy to the frame. Giving the heat energy a bit more resistance with more distance between the kettles will make things quite a bit easier on brew day.

My rig is 16" from the bottom of the frame to the top. With the wheels on, it is 22" from the ground to the top of the frame. It is 45.75" from the ground to the top of the boil keggle. This is just right for my 5' 8" size. You all can adjust your frame to fit your methods of brewing, but this works for me.

BTW, I have no center vertical support. Using Uni-strut (roughly 1.75") nothing moves with a fully loaded kettle, MLT, HLT and me standing on it. ;)

Good luck on your build, Anthony. Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Latest posts

Back