Time to repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 103238

Reaction score
Brewed up a 5-gallon BIAB batch of nut brown ale yesterday, expected OG was 1.046, I hit 1.045. I did a starter with Wyeast 1028, but the starter didn't perform as my previous batches did. I shouldn't have second guessed myself, but I had a tight time frame to pitch before work and preferred to play the chances rather than let it sit.

Now 24 hours later, zero blowoff tube activity, no krausen, and hydrometer is still sitting at 1.045. Is it time to write this off and go with an alternate yeast? If I hurry I can make it to the LHBS and try to get a second pack, otherwise I have Wyeast 1056, 04, and 05 in my fridge right now. Recommendations?

What temp did you pitch at? There's a sticky at the top of this forum, it can take 24 to 72 hours for fermentation to start. I'd give it another day or 2 to see if it gets going, then see about re-pitching. No need to waste money if you don't have to.

I pitched the yeast at 68 degrees after it came out of the counter flow chiller. I ended up re-pitching a packet of 04, mostly based on the fact that the starter never really took off like usual. Had it done its part I would have been more patient. No starter activity combined with no change in hydrometer, I felt it was safer to re-pitch rather than wait another day or two. The $3.99 was easier to swallow than spending another $9.99 on the Wyeast 1028. The kid at the LHBS said on the phone that it looks like some of the other packets look like they may have already been activated. He wasn't much help, so I'll go in and talk to the manager about getting store credit or a replacement packet.

Thanks, and thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping for some sort of positive outcome at some point tomorrow after I get home from work. If it doesn't ferment after the 04, well then this batch just wasn't meant to be!

kscarrington said:
Thanks, and thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping for some sort of positive outcome at some point tomorrow after I get home from work. If it doesn't ferment after the 04, well then this batch just wasn't meant to be!

You may have under aerated it. If you do repitch, I would aerate it again to be safe.

It's possible, although I've had great luck with the wort splashing from the counter flow into the carboy, plus I always shake it for about 3-5 minutes prior to pitching. I re-aerated it, pitched the 05, waited about 20 minutes, then shook it for another 30 seconds to a minute. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Now that's what I'm talking about! I returned home 15 hours after I repitched the 04, to find steady blowoff hose activity and about 1.5" of krausen. Nut brown, here I come!

And as a quick followup, I went in yesterday and spoke with the store manager about the yeast. He was surprised that a Wyeast smack pack with a 3/26 date was still on their shelves. Without hesitation he reached in the cash register and refunded me $10. Stand up way to help rectify the situation.

Back