Time / Storage Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flexbrew

Reaction score
Any tips to speed up s brew day and store gear for faster sccess easy setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

1. I like to do my crush the night before. No loud drills early in the morning.

2. I put strike water in kettle before bed so I can simply fire up.

3. During cleanup ill turn buckets and mash tuns upside down, put chiller on a towl and air dry. Takes forever. Need to find a way to get all my gear packed up and back in ghe attic.

4. Looking for a good way to store rack and cane.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Night before:
Have gear pulled out of storage and set out in garage.
Write up instructions, outlining each step of when and what to do.
Crush grain, have water salts measured and in a plastic bag, jugs of water ready to go.

Brew day:
First thing is to fill BK and start heating on propane. During the heat to strike temp I have some time to set up everything else.
During sacc rest I can get my boil ingredients ready, make up a batch of StarSan, sanitize fermenter, etc. Good time to grab a bite to eat as I won't want the distraction later when I need to keep an eye on the boil.

Cleanup/storage:
Fill BK with water and oxyclean, soak overnight, then rinse well. I rarely have to scrub it.
Everything else washed, rinsed and set out to dry on a big beach towel on a table.
I use a few Rubbermaid bins for storing all but the largest items.
Smaller items like airlocks, stoppers, thermometers, etc. are stored in a plastic parts bin with drawers.

3. During cleanup ill turn buckets and mash tuns upside down, put chiller on a towl and air dry. Takes forever. Need to find a way to get all my gear packed up and back in ghe attic.

Storing gear in the attic? While a perfectly practical weather resistant storage location I can see this adding a whole heap of time to the process. Is there any other spot you could put your brew gear? Perhaps empty a closet or basement storage into the attic and use the new found location for your gear?
4. Looking for a good way to store rack and cane.

I had the same problem and a trip to the local hardware store was the solution.
A welded ring from the chain / rope section (check your size needed)
An Adhesive Hook
A Heavy duty paperclip

Stick the hook where you'd like it, clamp the ring with the big paperclip, put the cane through the ring, hang the clip onto the hook. Hangs up neatly inside of a storage cabinet for me.

Back