Time on fruit in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytizzle

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but I searched and didn't see an exact answer to what I was looking for. I think I know the answer, just asking here to be on the safe side.

I have a NB Dark Cherry Stout kit that I'm going to brew shortly. I plan to brew, leave for two weeks, then rack over fresh/frozen cherries (rather than use cherry extract) with cacoa nibs (for an extra layer of flavor).

First question - How long should I leave this beer on the cherries in secondary? I was thinking six pounds of cherries for two weeks would be fine. Any input?

Second question - How much cacoa nibs should I use? The pack came with 4 oz and I was thinking I would just use all of it. This is a 5 gallon batch of beer.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2 weeks would be fine. Go for it with the cocco nibs, I haven't used them before but with a stout they shouldn't completely overwhelm the beer. No sure on the lbs of cherrys seems like a bit much, but same as the nibs I haven't used them before. You could probably call NB and ask too they are very nice and the guy that made the recipie is most likely running around the building and you can get advice from the source.

Back