Time limit in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrFubar

Reaction score
Ok, transferred to secondary a few days ago expecting my new kegerator to be delivered this week. Now I find out it's back ordered and may not get here for another 2 weeks. This would put the IPA I have in the secondary there for almost 3 weeks. Is this ok? I guess I could transfer it to the keg and administer the Co2 at room temperature or isn't this an option. Any opinion of facts would be welcome...

Don

Either option is fine, but kegging now will give you beer sooner. Just use a chart to set your pressure for the proper volumes at the temperature you're carbing at. (I'd guess 25 - 30 PSI)

Either option is fine, but kegging now will give you beer sooner. Just use a chart to set your pressure for the proper volumes at the temperature you're carbing at. (I'd guess 25 - 30 PSI)

Yep, I just looked it up.... 30psi is what it calls for @ 70degrees. Now all I need to know is for how long? Can anyone give a ballpark on that?

I'm guessing a week is ballpark? Would this be true?

Also once I get my keg pressurized and the beer to the carbonation level, can I remove the Co2 line and store the keg? Assuming I have no leak in the keg.

Usually around 2 weeks with a set and forget method and yes, once it's carbonated you can simply disconnect the gas and let it sit until ready assuming no leaks

Keep in mind, once you chill the keg you'll need to de pressurize the keg and set to serving temp or you'll have way over carbonated beer

Sent from the Commune

A week is safe, but it'll probably be done before that. Contrary to what you might read, if at the proper pressure, beer will actually carb faster at room temperature. And once carbed, it should stay at that level after disconnecting from the gas. The trouble is that checking for proper level won’t be possible until it’s been chilled. Personally, I’d give it three or four days and disconnect it. Once it’s chilled, you’ll have better control. I found that it’s better to trust my perception of the carb level than the gauges on my regulators.

Purging is not necessary. A keg is like a big bottle. When warm and at the proper volumes of CO2 there will be more pressure in the head space, but once chilled it will reach equilibrium at the proper level.

Thanks for the information guys. I'll wait another week for the kegerator and if it doesn't show I'll add Co2 and store... Thanks again.

Back