time in 2nd then to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshymas

Reaction score
What is a good ball park time to age in the secondary, then how long should I age in the keg befor cooling and adding the CO2?

wshymas said:
What is a good ball park time to age in the secondary
The average beer sits for 2 weeks in secondary. Think 1 week-Primary, 2 weeks-Secondary, 3 weeks-Bottle.

wshymas said:
how long should I age in the keg befor cooling and adding the CO2?
The average beer can be kegged and carbed right away. It all depends on how big the beer is and how much you want it to mellow before quaffing.

Wild

you secondary helps with some fermentation and clearing of the beer. check you SG, once it is where u want it, and it is clear, bottle/keg away

From what I understand it is suggested to leave the beer in the primary fermenter for 3 weeks instead of the 1 week directed on the back of the "kits". Well that is what I will be doing from now on anyho

Turricaine said:
From what I understand it is suggested to leave the beer in the primary fermenter for 3 weeks instead of the 1 week directed on the back of the "kits". Well that is what I will be doing from now on anyho

I think that would be unnecessary. The only thing you need to get done in the primary fermenter is the majority of fermentation. Once airlock activity quiets down to virtually nothing, there's no need to just leave the beer in there unless you plan on foregoing secondary fermentation altogether (i.e. filtering prior to kegging and want to allow time for full fermentation and flavor maturation).

If you're doing a secondary, there's really no need to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks.

I actually meant just to leave the beer for three weeks before kegging. It is all down to personal reference I suppose. If I had a glass carboy I would be inclied to use it for this purpose. Since I dont, i cannot be bothered with the extra transfer for 'cosmetic' appeal.

Back