time for a deep-clean of the kegerator; what's your process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I re-plumbed my kegerator with DuoTight fittings, and it's past-due for a thorough cleaning. I have 4 taps. I have a sump-pump keg washer to recirculate cleaning solution.
What's the order-of-operations here? PBW, then BLC, then Star-San? Or can I skip the PBW?

I plan to disassemble all the liquid quick disconnects and soak them. Also disassemble all the taps and soak them. Then re-assemble, recirculate BLC through each line, then Star-San through each line

Does that sound right?

What's the required soak time, contact time for these solutions?

pbw OR blc. dont need both. blc is a bit "better" for the job, but pbw will do a fine job if you dont wanna spend the extra for blc.

run them warm for a good 5-10 minutes, depending on how soiled your lines are. the EVA tubing is pretty tough stuff so they tend to stay cleaner than the crappy old vinyl stuff. but at the end of the day, the time is however long it takes for you to get a result that you're happy with and consider to be clean.

best practice is to run the cleaner forwards and backwards. say 3 min forward, then 3 min backwards.

sanitizer just needs to hit its minimum contact time. typically only a minute or two, but no problem if you just leave it for 5 min.

Back