TiltPi New Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normans54

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently got a Tilt hydrometer and started using TiltPi so I could monitor and track/log the fermentation of my beer inside my house. It worked great for the first brew after setup but a few weeks after that one finished, I started a new brew and dropped the tilt into the fermenter but all I get is a blank screen when I try to access the web interface (using the standard tilt app works.) Do I need to re-flash the SD card in my RasPi and go through the full setup each time or is there something else I need to do when I start a new brew?

Did you change the battery when you first received it? How do you store it?

Anything but standing up will drain the battery. I'd try that before anything else.

Usually in between brews all you have to do is change the beer name and input your email in the logging tab on the TiltPi localhost.

Did you change the battery when you first received it? How do you store it?

Anything but standing up will drain the battery. I'd try that before anything else.

Usually in between brews all you have to do is change the beer name and input your email in the logging tab on the TiltPi localhost.
I still get a reading on the Tilt app provided I am within range so I don't think the battery is the problem (though thx for the heads up re: storage). Right now, the TiltPi localhost won't load at all on either my computer or my phone so I am not sure what the problem is.

Hmm...did you set a static IP for your RPI?
TBH, I just followed the video instructions that Tilt posted on YouTube here and am not sure how to check whether set a static IP address with my RasPi. Any chance you can explain how I can I do that? Thanks so much for the help.

Last edited:
I've been having problems getting readings using my Raspberry Pi also. I'm almost positive there has been a change in Raspbian or firmware that has lowered bluetooth reliability. If I use the app on my phone I can pick up the signal from the Tilt in another room. If I use the raspberry pi, it must be within a foot or two of the device, with nothing in between. I have tried disabiling the on board bluetooth and using a bluetooth adapter with an usb extenstion cord to have the receiver a couple of feet from the Tilt. I have also tried both RPI 3 and RPI 4 both have the same issues. For years it worked great, I could have the rasberry pi in the same room and pick up any broadcasting Tilt.

You can set a static ip by ssh to your raspberry pi and editing dhcpcd.conf
Code:
 sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf
Adding the following at the end:

Code:
interface eth0
static ip_address=192.168.1.105/24
static routers=192.168.1.1
static domain_name_servers=4.2.2.2 4.2.2.1

interface wlan0
static ip_address=192.168.1.105/24
static routers=192.168.1.1
static domain_name_servers=4.2.2.2 4.2.2.1

change static ip to your desired ip, static routers to the ip of your router, and domain servers to whatever domain servers you wish to use.

Latest posts

Back