TiltBridge - Tilt-to-WiFi Device for Tilt Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the latest Lolin Pr032 D module rev 3, along with Lolin 2.4 Tft and cable from Thorrak.
Using Brewflasher 1.01 and the Ch340 driver. Have tried loading the firmware (v1.0.2)Tft 3 times ,each time choosing wipe all data option. Brewflasher reports success. I unplug/replug usb cable, but all I see is blank screen and flashing led on pcb .

Recommendations on how to proceed ?

Thanks

I got the latest Lolin Pr032 D module rev 3, along with Lolin 2.4 Tft and cable from Thorrak.
Using Brewflasher 1.01 and the Ch340 driver. Have tried loading the firmware (v1.0.2)Tft 3 times ,each time choosing wipe all data option. Brewflasher reports success. I unplug/replug usb cable, but all I see is blank screen and flashing led on pcb .

Recommendations on how to proceed ?

Thanks

What exactly does the Brewflasher log say?

Do you see a new wireless network come up if you look on another device (named TiltBridge)?

Found the problem. The Tft screen was showing white, but no display,
so I unpowered reseated the tft cable at both ends, rebooted and is now working. :)

Ok, got the Tilt connected to Tiltbridge, color, temp and gravity are display on Ttf screen and my browser, sweet :)
Thanks alot for a cool product !!

@Thorrak - Thank you so much for this! Tiltbridge is awesome - I get to free up an rPi3 now.

Recently started tinkering with esp32's and I'm kind of blown away with what you did with this little inexpensive board. Pretty cool!

Greetings all,

I am looking to build a tiltbridge using the instructions here and the website. When I go to the link for the TFT Screen at AliExpress, it says "item no longer available" and can not order it. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32919729730.html

I've searched but am unable to locate something similar. Anyone have any suggestions where to find a similar screen that will work with the Lolin D32 PRO and case?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am looking to build a tiltbridge using the instructions here and the website. When I go to the link for the TFT Screen at AliExpress, it says "item no longer available" and can not order it.
Were you looking for the large screen or the small all-in-one setup?

Were you looking for the large screen or the small all-in-one setup?

I am looking for the larger screen 3-piece (screen, board, and cable) version. The board and cable are available from aliexpress, but the TFT screen shows not available. Looks like I could just order the all-in-one Heltec board instead - any pros/cons between the two, other than screen size? I'm only running 1 tilt hydrometer. Thanks!

The Heltec is a little more stable for whatever reason. You don't notice the instability of the TFT if you don't look at the "about" page at the uptime. :)

If you get that one, note that it's a USB-C and you will want to make sure you get a data cable. I can't tell you how many times I've grabbed a charging-only cable.

Great, thanks for the info! I just ordered the Heltec and will be sure to use a data cable.

I am looking for the larger screen 3-piece (screen, board, and cable) version. The board and cable are available from aliexpress, but the TFT screen shows not available. Looks like I could just order the all-in-one Heltec board instead - any pros/cons between the two, other than screen size? I'm only running 1 tilt hydrometer. Thanks!

FYI, the TFT screen is back in stock again; just ordered a few.

I have a Tiltbridge set up to log in Fermentrack and working great. I use beersmith and wanted to also log to google sheets so I can import data to beersmith. Can the tiltbridge send to fermentrack and google sheets or does it have to be one or the other. I dont want to mess with google sheets setup if it will prevent fermentrack logging.

I have a Tiltbridge set up to log in Fermentrack and working great. I use beersmith and wanted to also log to google sheets so I can import data to beersmith. Can the tiltbridge send to fermentrack and google sheets or does it have to be one or the other. I dont want to mess with google sheets setup if it will prevent fermentrack logging.
It can do both simultaneously.

Does beersmith have an API?

They have a web based recipie editor now. This does support tilt data from google sheets or CSV.
1640113298421.png

Quick announcement - I just pushed the latest version of TiltBridge live:

v1.1.0 - Grainfather and Taplistio Support
  • Added Grainfather as a push target
  • Added Taplistio as a push target
  • Fixed typo in Brewfather log messages
  • Added placeholder page when waiting for the first GSheets push
  • Added 24 hour reboot timer to improve overall stability
  • Shorten logo display time by 60%
  • Added reboot if reconnecting to WiFi fails after some time
  • Send 'uniq_id' as part of MQTT config messages
  • Change MQTT keep alive timing to seconds to match MQTT spec
  • Replaced WiFi management libraries & WiFi reconnection process
  • Refactored configuration storage backend for performance
  • Changed "Invert TFT" option to also work for OLED screens

v1.1.0 is available via BrewFlasher, Fermentrack's firmware flash workflow, or via direct download on GitHub.

I was able to flash my board and it detects my Tilt no problem. The issue that I can't figure out is how to get it to log to Brewfather. I added my Tilt device to my current batch, added the Brewfather API to the titlbridge via the web settings, and started a new log in the Tilt app and now it's not logging anything. I used the string of numbers at the end of the web address under the Tilt in the Brewfather settings, is there a different one that I have to use?

I was able to flash my board and it detects my Tilt no problem. The issue that I can't figure out is how to get it to log to Brewfather. I added my Tilt device to my current batch, added the Brewfather API to the titlbridge via the web settings, and started a new log in the Tilt app and now it's not logging anything. I used the string of numbers at the end of the web address under the Tilt in the Brewfather settings, is there a different one that I have to use?
This is with the latest version? If so, I just tested it, and it seems to be working fine on my end.

To your question about ID - yes -- you need to flip the "switch" in Brewfather on the Settings page next to "Custom Stream" (NOT Tilt) which will then display the target URL. Then, you copy the characters to the right of where it says id=. The URL should be similar to: http://log.brewfather.net/stream?id=ABcDeEFgGHi -- you would copy the ABcDeEFgGHi bit to TiltBridge.

Last edited:
The Custom Stream key was the part I was missing. I had been using the characters at the end of the Tilt stream. Everything is working great now, thank you!

The Custom Stream key was the part I was missing. I had been using the characters at the end of the Tilt stream. Everything is working great now, thank you!

No worries - you definitely aren't alone in having encountered that! At some point if I rebuild the web interface I'll likely change it so you paste in the full URL and it kicks out an error if the URL you paste has /tilt/ in it, but that's a ways off.

I just released my latest project - BrewFlasher Web Edition! Flash TiltBridge (or a number of other projects!) to your controller, directly from the comfort of your web browser!

This project took all the magic of BrewFlasher, and stuck it in a web app. Flash any ESP8266/ESP32 firmware supported by BrewFlasher, straight from your web browser. No downloads needed.

BrewFlasher Web Edition is available at: BrewFlasher Web Edition

The code is open source, and is available at GitHub.

Note - Due to the APIs required, BrewFlasher Web Edition only works in recent desktop versions of Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Opera. If you don't use one of those browsers, try BrewFlasher desktop edition instead.

Good afternoon all,

So I've built a TB, and it's working VERY well. I've got it sending data to both Brewfather and Home Assistant via MQTT. HA picks up the temperature sensor automatically, but so far I haven't gotten it to pick up the SG data. Using an MQTT explorer I can see that the data is being published, but no luck on having it automatically parsed out. Before I start digging into the json (which I should probably learn), I'm curious if anyone has working YAML that might work to define a custom mqtt sensor.

Good afternoon all,

So I've built a TB, and it's working VERY well. I've got it sending data to both Brewfather and Home Assistant via MQTT. HA picks up the temperature sensor automatically, but so far I haven't gotten it to pick up the SG data. Using an MQTT explorer I can see that the data is being published, but no luck on having it automatically parsed out. Before I start digging into the json (which I should probably learn), I'm curious if anyone has working YAML that might work to define a custom mqtt sensor.

Interestingly, I actually didn't have a copy of Home Assistant running until last week. I haven't tested TiltBridge with it yet, but have been playing with it and trying to get MQTT autodiscovery working with multiple values per sensor. Unfortunately, what I've found is that I can either get both sensor readings to show OR give them unique IDs, but not both.

That said - MQTT autodiscovery is used by TiltBridge and should replace the need for the YAML as it carries all the same settings. To the extent that you find a working result, let me know, and I can get the autodiscovery messages updated. A potential alternative would be to split out the readings into two separate MQTT messages with different topics, but I'm not a fan of doing that as they are inherently linked.

The best workaround I've found so far is to let autodiscovery pick up the temperature sensor, and then define the SG sensor manually using YAML. Here's the snippet I'm using:

- platform: mqtt
state_topic: "tiltbridge/tilt_Blue"
value_template: "{{ value_json.SG }}"
name: "specific_gravity"
unit_of_measurement: 'SG'
icon: "mdi:arrow-down-bold"

I really think you're going to need different unique IDs...I'm not sure why you're getting two autodetected sensors with one uniq_id, that doesn't seem possible. But, I'm new to this so take my opinion for what it's worth!

tiltbridge_tilt_BlueT
config = {"dev_cla":"temperature","unit_of_meas":"°F","ic":"mdi:thermometer","stat_t":"tiltbridge/tilt_Blue","name":"Tilt Temperature - Blue","val_tpl":"{{value_json.Temp}}","uniq_id":"tiltbridge_tiltBlue"}

tiltbridge_tilt_BlueG
config = {"unit_of_meas":"SG","stat_t":"tiltbridge/tilt_Blue","name":"Tilt Specific Gravity - Blue","val_tpl":"{{value_json.SG}}","uniq_id":"tiltbridge_tiltBlue"}

Last edited:

I found the same thing. Does only the Heltec board work, or will any ESP32 OLED Board work? The price on the website isn't bad at $13 but shipping to CA is over $28. I did find this Heltec board on Amazon, but there are better rated and cheaper OLED boards there too. Please forgive my ignorance, I don't have much experience with these. If other boards will work, are there specific features to look for?

I found the same thing. Does only the Heltec board work, or will any ESP32 OLED Board work? The price on the website isn't bad at $13 but shipping to CA is over $28. I did find this Heltec board on Amazon, but there are better rated and cheaper OLED boards there too. Please forgive my ignorance, I don't have much experience with these. If other boards will work, are there specific features to look for?

It does, I used to use that for my tiltbridge. One caveat, at least for me, is I found the WIFI on that a bit flaky. I ordered the TFT hardware from Aliexpress and it's working like a champ with no issues.

It does, I used to use that for my tiltbridge. One caveat, at least for me, is I found the WIFI on that a bit flaky. I ordered the TFT hardware from Aliexpress and it's working like a champ with no issues.
The TFT would be awesome, but the display page says it is no longer available. I don't know if that means it's out of stock or no longer made

It goes out of stock often. They usually replenish, but it's anyone's guess when. I've messaged them to see when, and it's always "soon". I'd just keep an eye out if you want one, then buy a couple when they are in stock. That's what I did.

I’m having a tough time connecting to the Wi-Fi. I’ve reflashed it multiple times and attempted to connect 10+ times with no success. It just remains at the Saving Credentials screen. I’ve tried on both my PC and iPhone. Any idea what may cause this? Thank you!
A752D9B9-1E79-4275-96EB-5E59A06C2891.jpegF1C7DA94-8417-4CB4-9172-E4044697855A.pngD273A23C-F6CB-4A3E-981C-3E6623BDDAF8.jpeg

Weird. Anything special about your regular WiFi network?
Not that I know of but I’m far from knowledgeable with this stuff. I just googled eps32 connection issues and came upon others who had success using a guest connection. My 2.4 channel supports around 14 clients including computers, smart plugs, TVs, and security cameras. Not sure what prevented the connection to my device in this situation.

I've successfully flashed my ESP32 with TiltBridge and connected it to my network. Now I'm trying to get Google Sheets set up. I made my copy of the App for TiltBridge, but there's no Script Editor on the Tools menu. Any idea what's going on?

I've successfully flashed my ESP32 with TiltBridge and connected it to my network. Now I'm trying to get Google Sheets set up. I made my copy of the App for TiltBridge, but there's no Script Editor on the Tools menu. Any idea what's going on?

I finally got it
I found that with the last redesign, they put that under Extensions > Apps Script
I still had issues but found an answer in being logged into multiple Google accounts. I had to log onto the proper account in chrome and I was able to get it set up. I also had to install the Bonjour for Print Services to access the tiltbrige.local page. I had to be logged into the proper account to set up a new log as well, even though I can access tiltbridge.local from a different account. Thanks again Thorrak for this great app!

Back