Tilt Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzur

Reaction score
First batch using a Tilt Hydrometer... love all the data.. but with that extra data is bringing questions.. forgot the yeast on counter at brewshop.. had some safale05 in the fridge expired by a month so I double pitched. 5 gallon batch Og 1.069, been sitting at 1.027 for 1.5 days pushing 2 days. Having never had this much data on the fermentation process maybe I am over thinking it or the batch is stuck.. only been 7 days since brewing I would normally leave it alone till week 2 has a rule.. over thinking it or justly concerned?

It's far more likely that you have some yeast stuck on your Tilt causing it to float a little different, throwing off your gravity readings.

If you aren't ready to take the beer out of the fermenter, then let it ride. If you are worried, go ahead and take a hydrometer sample and see what's going on.

Tilt's can be a bit finicky, and are best used to monitor trends... not necessarily to accurately measure final gravity.

I have a Tilt, and I love it, but as Punx has said, they are best to measure trends, dont take the reading as gospel.
Take the hydro reading, see whats going on. If it is stuck, you could try ramping up the temp a little and shake the fermentor a bit (gently bumping the ferm may also clear the Tilt)

You did calibrate it when you got it didnt you?

image.png
When I see the gravity starting to level out, I start stepping up the temperature.

I have a Tilt, and I love it, but as Punx has said, they are best to measure trends, dont take the reading as gospel.
Take the hydro reading, see whats going on. If it is stuck, you could try ramping up the temp a little and shake the fermentor a bit (gently bumping the ferm may also clear the Tilt)

You did calibrate it when you got it didnt you?
Per instructions it comes precalibrated, and shouldn't be done till battery change. So I didn't mess with that.It was dead on to refractomonter on the og. Bouncing between 1.027 and 1.026 now. Suggests yeast activity and there is still airlock activity, will move to a warmer place for now

Per instructions it comes precalibrated, and shouldn't be done till battery change. So I didn't mess with that.It was dead on to refractomonter on the og. Bouncing between 1.027 and 1.026 now. Suggests yeast activity and there is still airlock activity, will move to a warmer place for now
If it is matching your hydrometer and reads 1.000 in plain water then all good.

You have a great addition to your toolkit with your Tilt, just always refer to your hydro for precise readings

I also have a tilt and the question that I have for it is this.

Brewed a Belgian last weekend. Started at 1.071 on Sunday night. But Tuesday night it was down to 1.020. Temps were near 72. It has slowed down and is still dropping about a point every 8-10 hours.

Does fermentation really happen that fast and we just never realized it until we see the data or do I have a monster.

You need to have several brews and measure and compare with hydrometer. I have two Tilts and after about 10 brews each on average measure about 5-6 points less on OG and about 3 points less on FG. Temperature is better.

First batch using a Tilt Hydrometer... love all the data.. but with that extra data is bringing questions.. forgot the yeast on counter at brewshop.. had some safale05 in the fridge expired by a month so I double pitched. 5 gallon batch Og 1.069, been sitting at 1.027 for 1.5 days pushing 2 days. Having never had this much data on the fermentation process maybe I am over thinking it or the batch is stuck.. only been 7 days since brewing I would normally leave it alone till week 2 has a rule.. over thinking it or justly concerned?
Just an update.. it parked after the first post reading 1.025 for over a week. Dead on to the Hydrometer after racking.. yeast I used wasn't expired as I thought in the first place.. over all real happy with the Tilt on the first batch.. lots of information to review..

Just an update.. it parked after the first post reading 1.025 for over a week. Dead on to the Hydrometer after racking.. yeast I used wasn't expired as I thought in the first place.. over all real happy with the Tilt on the first batch.. lots of information to review..

Glad to read you are real happy with the Tilt. I find it a valuable tool in my brew process.

I also have a tilt and the question that I have for it is this.

Brewed a Belgian last weekend. Started at 1.071 on Sunday night. But Tuesday night it was down to 1.020. Temps were near 72. It has slowed down and is still dropping about a point every 8-10 hours.

Does fermentation really happen that fast and we just never realized it until we see the data or do I have a monster.

The vast majority of my brews are done in 24-72 hrs from when it starts (not counting lag time).
I just brewed a tripel with OG 1.083 with wlp500. It had a lag time of 32.5 hrs (love the tilt!), but finished at 1.014 70 hrs since fermentation started.

You need to have several brews and measure and compare with hydrometer. I have two Tilts and after about 10 brews each on average measure about 5-6 points less on OG and about 3 points less on FG. Temperature is better.
I found the opposite. The temp is delayed and usually off a few deg compared to my thermowell. SG is spot on. I did calibrate it though.

The vast majority of my brews are done in 24-72 hrs from when it starts (not counting lag time).
I just brewed a tripel with OG 1.083 with wlp500. It had a lag time of 32.5 hrs (love the tilt!), but finished at 1.014 70 hrs since fermentation started.

It just amazed me at how fast the SG was dropping. Overall my Tripel went from 1.071 to 1.004 in nine days, with the bulk of fermentation happening in four including the six hour lag.

A healthy pitch of vigorous yeast run at appropriate wort temperature can be a thing of beauty to behold.
My last batch of imperial chocolate stout went from 1.107 to 1.026 in 3.7 days, using trusty ol' S04, The Beast Of Yeast :rock:

Cheers!

3 beers into using the Tilt and it NEVER has the correct OG. Seems to do ok after fermentation starts and it is pretty accurate with FG but OG is always off by about 10 points.

Calibrate it?

If you know for sure that the tilts OG is off, then you know for sure what the OG is ...

That's literally the easiest point of calibration to add.

3 beers into using the Tilt and it NEVER has the correct OG. Seems to do ok after fermentation starts and it is pretty accurate with FG but OG is always off by about 10 points.
Yeah, that’s why your guys SG is off. There’s an option to calibrate it in the app. You place the tilt in room temp water and then hit the calibrate button. It’s super easy. It will be very accurate then. You do get some variation if your moving the fermenter causing it to slosh around and with vigorous fermentation.... but it’s pretty minimal.

Yeah, that’s why your guys SG is off. There’s an option to calibrate it in the app. You place the tilt in room temp water and then hit the calibrate button. It’s super easy. It will be very accurate then. You do get some variation if your moving the fermenter causing it to slosh around and with vigorous fermentation.... but it’s pretty minimal.

I did this numerous times, it shows it calibrate correctly then I add it to my fermenter right before adding yeast and while both my refractomer and hydrometer showed 1.063, the Tilt shows 1.057. Not as off as before but still not nearly accurate.

I did this numerous times, it shows it calibrate correctly then I add it to my fermenter right before adding yeast and while both my refractomer and hydrometer showed 1.063, the Tilt shows 1.057. Not as off as before but still not nearly accurate.

My method when I used a tilt was not calibrating in sugar water, but directly in the fermenter. I did it every batch. I'd throw it in and test with a hydrometer . Whatever the hydrometer read, I'd set my tilt to that. Your starting point was always right, and ending point is what it is. Titls are never about dead on point accuracy, but more about trends. My end point was always close.

You really need 2 points. Start with a tare in water, and once in fermenter. After that, accept it for what it is.

I just got one for Christmas and haven't got to play yet.

Will these transmit through a stainless steel fermenter?
Yes, but mine doesn't go thru my SS Brewbucket, a closed keezer and room door. If I open the door to the room, it does work. If I open the keezer door, it works faster but the gravity seems to bounce around a tiny bit.
I think they make a booster so it can be read from further away but I've not taken a look at it yet.

I just got one for Christmas and haven't got to play yet.

Will these transmit through a stainless steel fermenter?

It works with my Anvil fermenter and keezer but I keep the phone I use for it next to them when I use them. If I move them too far it drops. For my glass carboys it works the 20+ft distance away from the keezer. I have two so sometimes I have one batch cold crashing while another one is fermenting. Also works when the Anvil is inside the keezer.

Yes, but mine doesn't go thru my SS Brewbucket, a closed keezer and room door. If I open the door to the room, it does work. If I open the keezer door, it works faster but the gravity seems to bounce around a tiny bit.
I think they make a booster so it can be read from further away but I've not taken a look at it yet.

tilt bridge + ferm track is awesome and easy to set up.

Good to know guys.

I finally got the system I got from @EuBrew put back together and the ventilation in place so that I can start it up.
Looking at a simple smash for the inaugural run of it and the Fermtank this weekend, may as well throw one more new toy into the tub...

I have 2 tilts, i use Tiltpi and it up loads the data to google sheets. it also seems easier to do the settings on the web browser verse the phone screen. I do the same method as Jtvann posted and seems to be dead on every time, so far.

Latest posts

Back