Tilt Hydrometer and Temp Control (ITC 308)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dttk0009

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Been thinking about getting my hands on a Tilt Hydrometer (or similar) to give me a better idea of where my fermenting beer is at. Since the Tilt also gives a temp readout, I thought it would probably provide more accurate readings than a temp probe attached to the side of my fermentation bucket.

I've looked around for any posts/articles on using the temp readouts from the Tilt to actively control cooling/warming via on/off switch as the Inkbird ITC-308 does, for example, but haven't been able to find anything at all.

Is it possible to rewire/modify an Inkbird ITC-308 in such a way that it would take take temperature readouts from the Tilt instead of the probe? Anyone play around with this?

I don't have a direct answer to your question (can a 308 be rewired), but I have a tilt and found it to be within a degree of the 308's temp. Very close.

I used to wonder if a thermowell or something like a Tilt would be better at reading temperature. I'm no longer concerned about that. BTW, below is a pic of how I hold the temp probe to the fermenter. The trick is to ensure it has enough insulation over it to take the temp from the fermenter and not ambient. The blue foam and bungee cord holds the probe against the fermenter.

fermchamber.jpg

probefoam.jpg

Thanks for the input. That looks about the same as mine (only I use packing tape to secure the foam insulation). Could probably use both as well.

I do the same thing with my probe. I didn't have any foam laying around but I had tons of old foam koosies. I tore out the bottom, cut it in open and I insulate my probe with that. Works great.

software like Brucontrol can do what your asking however its not using the inkbird controller but rather an arduino based hardware solution. you can even write temp profiles to automatically adjust temps when certain gravities are reached and cold crash.

Latest posts

Back